Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few quick questions before a jump in at the deep end and have a go a detailing the car.

first of all I guess its wash the car or snow foam if you have one.

new is clay bar? if you have no dead bug remains or tar visiable is it still worth clay baring??

Once clay bared if required its polish. is this just 1 coat job and is a polish by hand ok?

and then wax - tell me about wax please

Cheers Joe

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Snow foaming is done before washing to help soften and remove any debris and crap. You then wash as normal once power washing the snow foam (and hopefully most of the mud and crap) off.

If yours hasn't been done in awhile I'd use a tar remover such as tardis. If your feeling excentric go for an iron particle remover aswell such as wolfs brake duster or iron x. Then I'd clay bar it and yes you'll need to do the whole car. Next time you have washed and dried the car, run your finger tips along the paint and I guarantee It'll feel lumpy. Claying will remove this.

Polishing - depends. Hand polish like SRP will help hide swirls and is a piece of **** to do. Buff on, buff off and admire the shine. Correction polishing with a DA or roatary takes longer. You can do a couple of layers glaze or polish by hand If you want to before waxing.

Waxing - well.... It's a technical business. I bought some vics concours which looked nice but it didn't last long on my paint and I really CBA waxing it every week so have gone back coli which lasts ages. Depends what you want more - looks or durability? Take a look at sealants aswell, That'll confuse you some more ;)

If you want any autoglym super resin polish or extra gloss protection, Let me know. I've got a spare bottle of each I'll sell you at a good price ;)

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
This might help bud, I'm wanting to get into it to. Now just choosing the right products for all the stages.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
LOL, I often think that. Takes me about an hour just to clean and dry mine! I'd wait till the better weather If your going to do a proper job on it TBH mate. Car gets covered in **** too easily. All of the above is If you want to do it properly. On my clio I just clayed it, then a layer of SRP folowed by EGP. Car looked so much better for it and made future cleans easyer which is what I wanted.

Here's a pic of the clio wearing SRP and EGP. (havn't got any better shots).

All I did to this bonnet was a quick polish with the DA and a spritz over with redmist - (testing new products) and it still came out gleaming.

You don't need to take it to extremes to have a decent looking, shiny car. Same with anything really, depends how far you want to take it.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If you seriously CBA with that work, why not take it to the detailers we all met up at CLB I think it was, pay once for a correction detail then just keep the protection topped up.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
If you seriously CBA with that work, why not take it to the detailers we all met up at CLB I think it was, pay once for a correction detail then just keep the protection topped up.
this is a very good sudgestion here.

got family in wrexham could even take a road trip up lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts