Megane Sport Forum banner

First Service Today...and Question about Brake Pads?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  dixie 
#1 ·
Had my first service today at a main dealer, bit of a rushed affair, but I think they did a good job? :confused:

anyway, they put an advisory on the service sheet saying the front pads were worn 80% and the back pads are 60% worn :boat: which I questioned and received the answer "well it was a visual check and we don't see many 250's so in regard to a normal megane pad we'd say they are 80% worn. I said I was surprised as my old 225 was fine on its pads over 40 odd months (it passed an MOT fine too) and it had more track exposure...so he suggested I bring it back in 2 months or so and they'll have another look :confused:

so I'm thinking, what is the point of a service :detective: and also how can I find out myself how worn the pads are?

The car has done 11,700 miles, been on the track once and I have not experienced any brake fade / braking problems at all.

Thank you :)

#4 · (Edited)
Renault said mine were 70% worn when it was checked in the summer. At that point it had done 3 trackdays, 12 ring laps and about 7000 miles. I changed the fluid at the same time for something a bit more track-happy than the oem stuff.

I didn't notice any fade on track either, but as the pad wear increased, I did notice they didn't feel quite as sharp as before. Stick with the stock pads if you were happy with them. I opted for CL5+, which do stop better, but don't have retainer springs, so clonk rather a lot, and they squeak! I'll try DS2500's next time instead :)

#6 ·
There is a min thickness they should print out before the service a sheet called, maintenance values, that has all the minimum brake pad and disc thickness and anything else relating to the specific service of your vehicle. They should measure the pads + discs with a vernier it takes no time at all,

#8 ·
Have a look through your wheel and see how much is left, or take wheel off to expect easily and inside pad. On a service they should give you a proper idea of how much life is left in them, especially if it was main dealers

Like you gather from this thread its all down to driver, if its been driven hard etc itl go through pads alot quicker, but comute driving alot more. My r26 i got 25k out of my front pads, no trackdays but spirited road use, allthough i am a tech so kept an eye on the pads so i could run them right up untill they where thin

#13 ·
no, however had a call from renault customer services today and they said ok we'll chat to the service manager.
I might just take it to kwik fit! I don't want to kick up too much of a stink as the garage gave me a decent price and seemed friendly enough, they just don't know about megane 250 pads :( ha!

#14 ·
The pads in that picture look like they are lightly worn, only down a few mm as far as I can see, certainly not 70% worn, probably 70% left! Looks like 8-9mm left?
BTW It would take the garage 5 min to take one set of front pads out for a proper inspection. They slot out very easily, tap two pins out and they just slid out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.