Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accelerating up a slip road tonight changed up gear just before the cold engine rev limiter, a lovely crackle and pop from the exhaust, then accelerated again, revs climbed then loss of power, but no warning lights.

Kept on driving and noticed an orange flashing light, looked down, nothing there, in the meantime power went back to normal-ish, had it in extreme mode but felt like normal mode, 50 yards up the road noticed the flashing orange light again.

After about a mile it went out. Accelerating response seemed ok.

Anyone else had the check engine light on? And what was the reason?

Might take it up to the local dealership and get it plugged in to see if any fault codes come up . . . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does it only do it under the circumstance of a cold engine? Because its probably not advisable to push it when oil and water isnt up to temp anyway...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it only do it under the circumstance of a cold engine? Because its probably not advisable to push it when oil and water isnt up to temp anyway...
It's the first time it's done it. I wasn't exactly pushing it either just accelerating up a slip road upto 4k revs.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which of those lights come on ?

the spanner one ?

Nope none of the ones you can see in that picture, its the one sitting under where the speedo needle is that looks like an engine block.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think there is no engine block light, correct me if I'm wrong. issues regarding the engine or any components attached to it are indicated through the spanner, the stop light and depending on the fault a text message in the display.

Could it have been the battery indicator?

But apart from that, revving a cold engine in extreme mode, isn't good. In the old days doing this to a supercharged engine, would have had big consequences. Some of them blew on the first attempt of doing so while cold (take the G60 for example). They've come a long way since then, but it still isn't the way it should be done and will lead to mechanical problem sooner or later. It's not like McLaren heats all the fluids because Lewis likes the heater to work before he climbs into the cockpit...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think there is no engine block light, correct me if I'm wrong. issues regarding the engine or any components attached to it are indicated through the spanner, the stop light and depending on the fault a text message in the display.

Could it have been the battery indicator?

But apart from that, revving a cold engine in extreme mode, isn't good. In the old days doing this to a supercharged engine, would have had big consequences. Some of them blew on the first attempt of doing so while cold (take the G60 for example). They've come a long way since then, but it still isn't the way it should be done and will lead to mechanical problem sooner or later. It's not like McLaren heats all the fluids because Lewis likes the heater to work before he climbs into the cockpit...
I'll get a photo of the display and highlight which one came up. I could be mistaken. But the car definitely went into some sort of limp mode / decreased power.

The engine wasn't fully cold I had already been driving for around 5minutes I only said changed up before the cold limiter to describe roughly what sort of revs I was at, approx 4k, as that is were it normally is. I get a audible beep before the limiter is wherever it may be, so guesstimated on past experience.

It's not happened since so I don't know if was just the conditions, or a mixture of events that confused something on the car so it went into a limp mode. I'm still yet to take it to a dealership to see if any error codes have been left, so I'll probably do this in the next few weeks just to make sure nothing has been effected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its the toxic fume warning light, i had a similar problem recently, was having nightmares after searching on this forum what it could mean, but a mechanic at renault chester told me not to worry and just to give the car a decent run, only come on once flshed for about to seconds, so i pulled over switched on and off and hasn't been back on since - tooch wood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts