Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my car jammed in neutral just over a week ago, I managed to get it up to Renault, they looked at it.

Monday, removed the battery, battery tray and air box. They found no fault with wires or the Gear linkage!

Tuesday, they tried to removed the selector shaft only to find its jammed. This now means there is a internal box fault, meaning that the box has to be removed from the car and stripped down, to remove the selector and repair any damage..

So far I have agreed to 2hr labour to find the fault. They now want me to agree to pay 8.5hr to remove and reinstall the gear box, 4.5hr to strip it down and any parts that my be need..

The car is 3years 7months old covering 33000 miles full service history, I have spoke to Renault uk and I'm waiting for them to come back to me..

Whats people thoughts on how I should handle things with renault uk, anybody had any experience with trouble like this??

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i would get them to deal as a goodwill gesture on the basis your only 7month post expiration of your warranty. or contribute anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
My car was 6 months out of the warranty period and was on 33,000~ miles I believe... after a lot of 'negotiating' with RUK and the dealership, after 3 weeks RUK agreed to pay 80% total cost to the repair.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I got mine under warranty at about 33000 miles thankfully, was about 2 1/2 years old then, make sure you put a new clutch in while its being taken apart - youll always regret it otherwise

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car was 6 months out of the warranty period and was on 33,000~ miles I believe... after a lot of 'negotiating' with RUK and the dealership, after 3 weeks RUK agreed to pay 80% total cost to the repair.
What was the problem with your car?
How did you go about talking to them?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mine under warranty at about 33000 miles thankfully, was about 2 1/2 years old then, make sure you put a new clutch in while its being taken apart - youll always regret it otherwise
RUK, aren't going to agree to that though are they? Repair the gear box and stick a new clutch in.. Ha ha

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
RUK, aren't going to agree to that though are they? Repair the gear box and stick a new clutch in.. Ha ha
Probably not, but while the gearbox is apart it's always worth putting a new clutch in as the labour's virtually nil. May depend how long you're keeping the car - if you plan on keeping it long-term it would be wise.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
they didnt put one in for me and at the time I was a bit short of cash - really regret it now though - would love stage 2 but slipping clutch puts me off and I dont want to pay out for a new one, could have had it done then for pennies in comparison

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
I had an r26.r clutch kit and SM flywheel fitted at the same time, Renault did not charge me any labour for fitting the parts. (although they did mention 1hr labour, but I persuaded them to do it FOC :) )

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
Clutch you pay for. if you don't and it goes in 6 months you have a bigger bill.
don't get them to repair it it will never be right

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Clutch you pay for. if you don't and it goes in 6 months you have a bigger bill.
don't get them to repair it it will never be right
This.

I imagine dealerships just don't have the experience / work on them enough to rebuild the boxes.... push for a service exchange / new item.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You really think I can push for a new box?? How much is a new clutch parts only.. They havent been in touch today!

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
A clutch is around £200 full price, although they can be had for half of that if you know the right people. Flywheel wants checking if the box is coming out too.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Mine was a new box, I think I told you the price in your other thread.

Yup, you'll need a new clutch kit...

If you have a new box it will come with a new slave cylinder (that'll save you £150)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine was a new box, I think I told you the price in your other thread.

Yup, you'll need a new clutch kit...

If you have a new box it will come with a new slave cylinder (that'll save you £150)
Cheers for the info mate, I'll hopefully speak to them tomo.. If I can get a cheap clutch then I'll prob get that done at the same time then..

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
Buy cheap buy twice. They shouldn't be repairing it its time consuming plus most parts won't be cheaper then doing a box. Pm me your reg and mileage and ill check what warranty will pay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts