Megane Sport Forum banner

Handbrake problem?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  chris_12345 
G
#1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a duplicate posting as I have already placed this on Webcode's forum page but I really just wondered if any of you had encountered a similar problem with your RS Megane (see below). Any help/ advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Webcode,

Just a quick note to make a query about my 55 plate RS Megane. This seems to be an intermittent fault but occasionally when pulling away from standstill I get the 'STOP' and handbrake on light flashing and beeping. The handbrake is genuinely off at this point i.e I haven't left it on on even slightly on. It also does not happen every time or and it doesn't seem to sepend on whether I pull away slowly or attempt an F1 style start. The 'fault' also clears after a couple of seconds and only returns when a move off from standstill is required.

Could it be a connection/ sensor problem or it is a genuine handbrake issue? Many thanks in advance for your help, all the best.

Cheers
Hugh

See less See more
#3 ·
It seems like a sticky contact switch. If dirt gets aroud them they just freeze. In cold weather this happens more often. If you can gen someone to tell you where the switch is and if it is easy to get to you can try cleaning it before going to the shop...

#6 ·
The things to check here is the fluid level in the brake reservoir under the bonnet.

If the level is slightly low then as you accelerate, brake or go down a steep hill the float sensor in the reservoir will drop causing the STOP light to come on.
I had it on mine for a while and annoyed the hell out of me, it used to beep at the same point on every journey to work at the bottom of a hill until the penny dropped one day.

The level has to be at the MAX and no lower or it will cause the symptoms you mention - it's nothing to do with the handbrake.
Top it up to the MAX marker and problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.