Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so put my car on the local dyno at east coust customs in lisburn, northern ireland, the plan was to get a figure on my local dyno so i can get a accurate befoure and after reading for when i add the ktec induction kit, however

at ktec on my coustom mapping session for my 690cc injectors i made 292.3 bhp and 320lbsft

today on the dyno this is how my graph looked after 3 runs

is it common for their to be that much variation between dynos? or something wrong for me loose power?

could it just be a poor dyno?

dose me graph look ok?

why dose their seem to be little wiggles at the top end on the power line?

the car feels as it always did, i havent noticed a drop in power and it all and runs fine

it was mapped on tesco 99 which it ran on today also.

any help please

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Remind me what you've had done?
What was the first run like?
Had the car had time to heat soak before/during the runs?

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
there somewhere is thread that between some dynos are quiet a big differences, will try to have look for it...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its on a ktec hybrid mate, with decat, bigger injectors, 2.75 miltek, FMIC and mapping.

please explain heat soak? lol

it came out very simlar on all 3 runs to be honest, he did two and showed me one graph, when i questioned the power he did a 3rd.

brano maybe it could just be a differnt dyno, be interesting if you find that thread

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
just stolen from web about heat soak - lotustalk...

Simple terms - a hunk of metal (or other thing) starts out at ambient temperature. It's exposed to other another temperature that warms (or cools) the surface. As time goes on, the head (or cold) evens out throughout the metal and the thing is "heat soaked". If you take away the source of the heat (or cold), the part will remain hot (or cold) for quite some time as it gives off the heat (or cold) that has "soaked" in the metal.

In terms of intercoolers, as the compressed air is compressed, it gets warmer. As it passes through the intercooler, the air gives off heat to the intercooler. And the intercooler gives off that air to the outside air that passes over the intercooler. After a while, the intercooler "heat soaks" and can't absorb as much heat from the compressed air to cool it. The temperature of the compressed air to the engine goes up and that increases the chance of detonation in the cylinder.

Sitting idle (with no air passing over the cooler) can also raise the "heat soak" causing loss of performance (or detonation), but it will reduce the "heat soak" as the car is moving with fresh (relatively) cool air passing over the intercooler again.

The same thing happens with cooling systems. The combustion chamber temperatures can get quite high, and the coolant passing through the cylinder head carries away the heat. But when you turn off the engine, there is still a high amount of residual heat in the chamber material that has not been removed. That heat "soaks" the head (and the coolant) and makes localized hot spots - the normal coolant temperature may be 195 degrees, but that local hot spot can easily get to be 20 - 50 degrees hotter. That's why many cars have a fan that will kick on after the car is parked if it detect that the engine is too hot. The Elise/Exige has a small pump that is turned on and cycles the coolant in the head through the heater circuit to dissipate the heat.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steve, i knw im not to fussed as it drives the same, just wasnt sure if its purly the dyno or something more, i expected maybe 2-5 bhp differnce lol, just wanted a befoure and after on the indution kit really.

BMH + Brano, i drove the car for 30ish mins to the rollers, it sat wth the engine off for maybe 2 or 3 mins while i booked in then the guy jumped in, started her up and reversed in and left her running on the dyno for about 10mins maybe more while the messed about setting it up, then did the 3 runs so in that time i could imagein after a long drive and all the idleing it could have developed heat soak, from what iv made of branos post.

thanks brano.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Did they log the fuelling and boost?

Generally dyno dynamics under read compared to most others so that could suggest a problem

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Mine did the same recently at Rs tuning. I only made 276bhp. Injectors were maxing themselves out aswell. A walbro 255 some modification & a trip back to Leeds made all things well again

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mine did the same recently at Rs tuning. I only made 276bhp. Injectors were maxing themselves out aswell. A walbro 255 some modification & a trip back to Leeds made all things well again
i mentioned that to the guy actually after you mentioned it last week, something ill look into.

also what sandwhich plate and gauges did you say you had? and price(ish) as im awaiting a qoute.

thanks

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did they log the fuelling and boost?

Generally dyno dynamics under read compared to most others so that could suggest a problem
i know ktec did use a dynodynamic as they did say my 292bhp may have been under, hence why expecting more rather than less, unsure what the dyno was i went on today, unfortunatly they didnt log the fueling or boost, wasnt a great set up place really, been recomended anouther place in ballymena so might try them to confirm that it was just the rollers or wether i have a problem like lee did, i did mention your problem lee but the guy didnt seem overly helpfull, they map evo, scoobies, GTRs, pulsars etc but i wouldnt let them map mine after today.
ill speak to the other palce and book in for a run logging fueling and boost, at least i can rest eaisy that its not a problem then, i dont think it is as my car runs very well and always has after ktec did the work, tbh i trust my dyno runs and ktec far more just their too far away and wanted a befoure and after of the induction kit.
also paul could one of these dyno places in theory check my AFR as was told he couldnt today? wanted that checking really after the last few bangs on here?

thanks paul.

the same place is doing me a qoute for a sandwhich plate and a wide band lambdr, gauge fitting etc, but again ill get a qoute else where.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
May be worth buying an Rs tuner box off Paul as you can check injector duty ect. Mine were at 99 percent with the knackered pump at 276bhp. Once I fitted the walbro she was back up to the 300 & the duty had dropped to 74 percent

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing is 'normal' in the engineering world, but 2 completely different and unknown Dynos on 2 different days - most probable.
i went certainly expecting a difference of course but was shocked how much, im almost certain it was just the dyno and the conditions on the day but there is also the possabilty of something like lee had with the pump, hence posting on here for advice.

ktec= dynodynamics (their old one)
ECC= dynomet (any experiance of these any one)

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
How'd you go about this? Paul found a pump that fits in the standard carrier now or did you make further mods?

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
The pump fits in the housing perfectly. It's the wiring in the pump housing & the plastic hose from the top of the pump flask to the top plate that I had to replace. The pipe was more getting ready to run a rising rate regulator rather than a necessity

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
i know ktec did use a dynodynamic as they did say my 292bhp may have been under, hence why expecting more rather than less, unsure what the dyno was i went on today, unfortunatly they didnt log the fueling or boost, wasnt a great set up place really, been recomended anouther place in ballymena so might try them to confirm that it was just the rollers or wether i have a problem like lee did, i did mention your problem lee but the guy didnt seem overly helpfull, they map evo, scoobies, GTRs, pulsars etc but i wouldnt let them map mine after today.
ill speak to the other palce and book in for a run logging fueling and boost, at least i can rest eaisy that its not a problem then, i dont think it is as my car runs very well and always has after ktec did the work, tbh i trust my dyno runs and ktec far more just their too far away and wanted a befoure and after of the induction kit.
also paul could one of these dyno places in theory check my AFR as was told he couldnt today? wanted that checking really after the last few bangs on here?

thanks paul.

the same place is doing me a qoute for a sandwhich plate and a wide band lambdr, gauge fitting etc, but again ill get a qoute else where.

thanks
To directly compare you need to go on another Dyno Dynamics but ANY dyno place should be able to stick a wideband up the tailpipe! To T boost off is also easy so not sure why they couldnt do that.

As Lee Said, we can suppply an rstuner which you can use to data log as you drive, the only thing that you need to do externally is AFR.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts