Megane Sport Forum banner

He's Turned To The Dark Side

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
Whilst browsing on Renaultsport.co.uk i have seen that Craig225 has ordered a wait for it.............. Astra VXR!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: What is he doing.Is this news to everyone else or am i just not up to speed. :oops:

#4 ·
He posted it here when selling the wheels,good on him i say
they are nice cars!
no quicker thanthe megane though, i have been out in my brother in laws
gonna give him a race when i get mine back (leave him for dust! :lol: )

G
#13 ·
ive seen quite a few a black one, blue one, red one. i like em and regal tuning have got one running 340 bhp with 350 ft/lb
. 19s as an option, bet the tyres arnt cheap and youd chew through a few running that power.

G
#14 ·
Well I have to say chaps I don't mind them, but like it showed on Top Gear the aint as fast as a Meggy round the track, and as for my moded 225 I will probably only ever get to see the front of one..............in my rear view mirror!!!!!!

#16 ·
thing is... (here we go long post lol )

A golf GTI produces on BP ultimate proven a wrc rr`d for autocar a huge 250lbft STOCK and 212 bhp only 3 hp less than sunco race fuel :shock: this is a stock car with 50lbft more than claimed and 15hp more also , the vxr makes silly levels of torque when mapped a stage one regal tune brings 300lbft !!! our equivelent stage one on the 225 brings (a safe) 255lbft (same as a stock GTI on proper fuel) however ron 95 produces 207lbft so using decent fuel on these latest turbo cars is essencial. All modern Turbo pertrol hatch backs are producing loads of power over claimed figures as stock, the reason for this i belive is that Diesel has so much torque its starting to make petrol pointless and saloon diesels are embarassing porsches in gear for quick overtaknig moves. its a discreet way of levelling the playing field by having added petrol torque.

all new sportshatch backs will be featuring turbo`s just look at the range.. LCR 20v Turbo 225, ICR 180 20v turbo, megane 225, golft gti, astra vxr , new fabia petrol turbo etc.. all will with lastest 2.0 engines (i.e FSI 2.0T) produce STi levels of BHP and LBFT with better economy than the impreza`s thirsty flatfour.

basically what im saying is, the 280-300bhp + 280-300lbft power is now avalible to the masses by just spending £450 on a remap and without transmission loss of 4wd and decent kerb weight on the roll they are STi fast... but.. the key is they dont handle like STi`s, its alright putting 240bhp on an astra and mapping to 300hp but a fwd car with 19" wheels on isnt gonna handle like a 115bhp lotus elise is it.
secondly the argument for good enough handling + amazing straight line pace is where the megane comes in, it grips/handles faster than a vxr on track, faster than a golf gti on track and faster than a LCR and CTR, the megane has a better platform to start with although id think the Golf would with some fettling make a megane work hard.

still to top it all off the megane has a 1350kg kerbweight where as the golf in particular is 1450kg.

still the astra looks nice, the golf has a great interior + build and looks ok, the megane is funky looking is safe and has good handling and is cheap as chips.

dunno if i got my point across there ? but power isnt everything boosting a car with torque steer to ludicrous levels then making it worse by fitting 19`s wont win any track days.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.