Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, im Jamie from Essex. Im a blue oval man at heart, having owned quite a few Fords ranging from Feistas to the Focus RS.

(During a week long jaunt around Wales last Sept)

(Ace Cafe RS meet)

I've have a track toy before, it was a '00 Fiesta Zetec-S fully track prepped with bolt in roll cage, motorsport suspension, 1.7 Puma engine etc etc

(Bare essentials)

I got rid of the Fiesta to fund towards the RS i owned for two years. I'm now looking at getting a Megane R26 F1 (230) to be my next toy. Im not sure whether im making the right decision here, so any comments will be much appreciated. Im aware Renault Sports' handle very well, but i cant seem to find any simmilar projects using the Megane... My first thought was the Clio 197, but the tax is the same price, and insurance is somehow less for the Megane.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I had a focus RS in the corners on track and it couldnt gain on me on the straights, epic handling imo. You wouldnt go wrong with stripping, decent tyres and a stage 1 map 260bhp/280lb

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Renault sort of did the R26 project you mentioned with the R26R. A good example of where to look initially for ideas - although maybe not as extreme as you would like to go.

The stock LSD is great and with a mapped 260 Bhp + on a semi stripped 1200 Kg chassis and some decent boots, the R26 will be fairly quick out of the box. You can also kill the ESP and run hard (but shortish) track sessions on the stock brakes with just some decent pads and fluid.

The 197 is power limited and no LSD. Ultimately flawed for the next notch up from stock.

There are also plenty of cheap decent donor R26s on the market.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Stepping over to the dark side, Jamie? :) Good to see on here at last mate.

As already said, get yourself a nice R26, strip it, abit of mild tuning and some tasty tyres and your on to a winner!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and info guys. Im not too worried about going 'extreme' i barely drive my own car now, partly why the RS went. It can be strictly used once a week or just for trackdays. I have another cr and a van so i have plenty of choices lol!

The R26.R is the obvious choice, but they seem to be demanding a good premium, one i dont really feel necissary for a play thing. Apart from the half cage, i dont even know what more (or less ;) ) the .R has compared with the F1.

I'd pretty much convinced myself i needed an R26, so expect to see me about alot more shortly... :)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and info guys. Im not too worried about going 'extreme' i barely drive my own car now, partly why the RS went. It can be strictly used once a week or just for trackdays. I have another cr and a van so i have plenty of choices lol!

The R26.R is the obvious choice, but they seem to be demanding a good premium, one i dont really feel necissary for a play thing. Apart from the half cage, i dont even know what more (or less ;) ) the .R has compared with the F1.

I'd pretty much convinced myself i needed an R26, so expect to see me about alot more shortly... :)
Wise choice and I always get a load of stick on here when I say an R26R is just a lightened R26 (with badges) and 888 boots. Same engine, brakes and chassis. Just a softer suspension.

You will go just as quick with a cheap tweaked R26 as an R26R. You will also be aware how a stock R26R cleaned up the stock Focus RS on circuit.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
Just do what ive done mate it hasn't cost me a lot at all and its great fun and will keep up if not pass a lot of more expensive cars on track.

steve.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright Jamie, good to see you here finally. I'll take my referral fee in PayPal.
Arun you make it sound like i was always destined to come here? :p

I have seen a lovely R26, i might make the long journey after new year if it's still available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts