Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting at home on Saturday watching the clock go backwards until the delivery of my facelift next Wednesday, I decided to take a trip to the shops to get a Car magazine. I walked out with May’s addition of TEST DRIVE. I bought it because of the hot hatch review including the following.
Renault 225 F1
Astra VXR
Cooper S Works
Golf R32
MBW 130i
Skoda vRS
Golf GTI
Focus ST 2

To cut a long story short the Megane came 8th out of 8. The list above is in fact in reverse order with the ST in first position. The comments on the Megane finished with “it looks enticing, but its high seating position, remote steering and lacklustre drive leave it last

If you look at the performance data you see the Meggy was joint 4th to 60mph and joint 3rd from 30 to 70. They commented that the breaks felt mushy and yet they stopped the car from 70 to 0 in 46.9 sec 3rd fastest in the test. The running costs were supposedly the highest and yet the MPG was 4th although the 1st service cost was the 2nd highest, depreciation was average. They praised the Skoda for having a multichanger but no mention of the 225’s MP3 player or that it has climate control and the ST does not. I could go on and I am probably biased as it is not what I wanted to read 4 days before delivery of my Facelift Full Fat. Probably should sell it when it arrives and get the Skoda as it’s more practical and has a multichanger. If you watched the top gear review then you would have seen that the 225 was faster around the track than the Golf GTI and the VXR, you can also see at the end that the 225 was quicker than the R32 when Clarkson places the VXR on the board.

Oh Test Drive Mag liked the shiny black wheels.
The mag is £1.50 see what you think and please add your comments.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hello Uncle.I get my face lifted 225 from Buymynewcar on Thurs :D .I believe you are getting from them to as i have recieved your reg no by mistake :? .What colour and spec have you gone for

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gone for a Full Fat 5 DR Inferno. I hope I have the correct reg number as I have informed the insurance company. What are you getting.

G

·
review

I read the article too - was suprpised at the outcome, but then maybe the journo was a little biased, or felt that the Meg225 looked a bit too different to fit in with main stream hot hatch drivers.

The ranking is not just based on performance, running costs, etc etc, but on one journo's opinion based on the cars he had driven and what he liked. Another journo will rate the 225 highly and the ST poorly. You have to make your decision based on whether you like the way the car feels, looks, drives, what its standard package is etc etc. If we all bought just what journo's stated was No 1, in their opinion, we'd all be in the same boring cars!!!!

I am actually glad that they didn't rate too highly - makes more people think that it is an inferior car, when it is not the case. Should surprise a few when it comes to the occasional challenge.

By the way the 70-0 was 49 metres, not seconds. I'd be quite worried of ot did take nearly 1 minute to stop from 70!!!! It's still a bloody good stopping distance, the brakes are supposed to be excellent (have only driven the phase 1 full fat myself).

CheeRS

Per

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
I read that last week, the only really bad points seemed to be the 225s seating position. The "group test" was a joke really the Golf R32 shouldn't have been there (about £6k more than the others), and the Octavia is a different class of car altogether

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, was not thinking when I typed 49 seconds. Although you say it did not take into consideration the performance and running costs if you look at the bottom of the article when they spec each car you will see they gave stars for performance and running costs the 225 got only 3 stars for performance which was the lowest of the group and the running costs got 2 stars again the lowest of the group with the BMW. The other scores were for styling 4 stars, ride and handling 2.5 stars and interior and practicality 2 stars. All the results were used to get the final score that is why I mentioned the performance and running costs as they only gave 3 and 2 stars for these.
I totally agree with you, I always read between the lines on reviews. As you say the ST would come out lower on another reviewers test. I have seen many reviews comment on the heavy front end of the ST and yet no mention of that during the review. I for one am glad I have chose the 225 and I'm looking forward to surprising the odd driver. One of the reasons I chose the 225 was it rarity and that not many people even know it exists.

Roll on Wednesday.

G

·
jonseal said:
Clarkson loves the new meg and so do EVO so any other two bit jurno can screw themselves ;)
here here!!!!!!!!!!!.....

The bottom line is that I have seen so many golf GTI's on the road, and soon to be so many ST's on the road!! :D

i prefer uniqueness to be honest. :lol:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
That jorno must have been anti Renault! I always average 28-32mpg, m yinsurance is the right side of £500 and I whoooooooooped a focus ST last week! Let the fools think the meg is inferior, all they will see is it's ass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
denty, great reply!

the only thing i agree with is the seating position. its too much like a minivan :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
jonseal said:
Clarkson loves the new meg and so do EVO so any other two bit jurno can screw themselves ;)
Good 'ol EVO, you could put a RenaultSport badge on a milk truck and it'd win their People's COTY for 2006/07 and place a respectable 5th in the overall rankings :lol:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
dultanur said:
denty, great reply!

the only thing i agree with is the seating position. its too much like a minivan :)
You should try a 182. I tested one at the same time as the meg and i felt like I was sat on the bloody thing!

Glad I cheered you up Uncle :lol:

G

·
Obviously written by some cretin that doesn't know a car from an aeroplane. Drives 8 cars back to back and expects to make an honest opinion after a few hours. The cars fantastic m8. You'll always hear Renaults this and renaults that, however rest assured one thing, ask yourself a) who won last years F1 drivers and constructors championship and b) who's already way ahead this year. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motoring engineering, I don't see a VW or a Skoda etc on the grid.
Like I've mentioned time and time again, I was the MD of a driver training company for years up until last december, drove dozens and dozens of different cars, 100,000's miles, police instructor, hold 14+ different licences, including National Race Licence etc etc, and I'm not gonna let some little pea brain who probably hasn't even passed wind never mind all his driving test tell me those cars are better.

Trust me m8, the meggy is bloody ace all round and it's background has a great pedigree, which is proven. So write and tell him to stick his opinion where the sun doesn't shine.....the narrow minded prat.

Cheers, off my horse now, Phill someone who knows about vehicles.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Its all someone opinion at the end of the day and lets face everyone is slightly biased!!

The Megane has always had little praise even though the figures speak for themselves. And most people on here are really happy with theirs.

I went from a Clio 172 to a Megane 225. If you bear in mind that the 172/182s are regarded as one of the best hot hatches ever made and in my opinion think the Megane is a better car. That says something to me about the 225 being a wicked motor :D :D

Anyone recall the episode of Top Gear where they tested the Golf GTI, Megane 225 Cup and Astra VXR. They ranted on about the Golf, then the Astra and the Megane hardly had anything said about it. Then right at the end of the section they said that the Megane was quicker round the track. That was it!!!! Megane just gets little or no mention. :? :?

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Most people tend to bash Renaults, doesn't bother me the less people that have them just makes us more special !!!

G

·
I'm constantly seeing hot hatch reviews that don't even have the 225 in and those little articles that say "if you thinking of buying one of these consider one of these as well" never have the Megane as a contender.

I don't understand how someone can write an article about hot hatches and not include the fastest and best styled one! It's beyond me! I didn't even know that the Megane 225 existed until i stumbled across the Renault Sport website.

The bottom line is that those of us on the forum are an elite few who can see through all the propaganda and have bought IMHO the best hot hatch available. I know this because my girlfriend loves the car, hates charv cars and once confused a Ferrari 360 for a Honda! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Nick the Greek said:
I know this because my girlfriend loves the car, hates charv cars and once confused a Ferrari 360 for a Honda! ! ! ! !
Easily done if you're a girl!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just proud to have a car thats damn fast, turns heads and you don't see driving past you every five minutes. It actually makes people look with interest rather than being lairy and in your face.
:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts