Megane Sport Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to change your Front brake pads.

826 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BlackRat250 
#1 ·
All, Courtesy of Withoutabix. Hope this helps some !

This weekend I fitted a set of braided lines to the 197 and thought I would strip and clean the front calipers down at the same time due to the amount of people that have been having problems with the pins sticking. The 197 brakes are the same as on a Megane 225 ad 230.

First step is to jack the car up and place it on axle stands then remove the front wheels.
The calipers weren't in too bad a state, filthy by my cleaning standards though

Next you need to remove the 2 stainless steel retaining pins using a drive punch.

This also release the retaining spring plate, so you end up with 3 parts coming off the caplier

Caliper with the pins out

Next you need pull both of the pads out, they pull straight out away from the disc and may need a bit of jiggling & encouragement.

Once all the bits are out give them a good clean and rub the pins down with some wet and dry to make sure there are no rough areas on them. Obviously if you are fitting new pads then you don't need to clean them down

While I was at it I gave the caliper a good clean to remove as much of the brake dust as possible.

Then apply some anti-seize compound to the back of the pads (I use Copaslip) and put them back in the calipers. Be careful when applying the anti-seize compound, you really, really don't want to get any on the friction material of the pads.

Finally refit the retaining pins, not forgetting the plate and job done, unless your like me and take the opportunity to clean the arch out. If your changing the pads, it is always best to buy new pins and replace them as well. If these are done at Renault, the pins will always be changed.

Produced by Withoutabix.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.