Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got an annoying problem with my R26

I'm getting ice (when cold enough) and shed loads of condensation on the inside on my windscreen.

I've got one of those in-car dehumidifier's, but it can't seem to solve the amount of condensation that builds up.

The pockets on the floor / footwell are dry, and my scuttle drains have been unblocked.

I do get some water inside the doors, but only a small amount.

I've noticed that the large seal / spongey thing (technical term) that runs all the way along the top of the inside of the engine bay is very droopy, but I'm not sure if this does anything in terms of keeping out condensation from inside the car. I'll get a pic if it helps to show this.

What else could it be? How can I check the seal around the windscreen to ensure that its ok?

cheers in advance
Jp

·
Registered
238 Posts
Theres moisture in there somewhere, get a couple of bags of the crystals (like you get in shoe boxes) and stick them on the dash and in the pockets. I had to do this with every clio i've ever had.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
My old clio used to mist and frost up when cold enough. It hasn't been cold enough here but after work the windscreen is misted up on my meg. Like yours, my rubber seal around the bottom of the windscreen plastic trim is abit saggy. I've patrially stipped my drivers door card and there must be alot of water flowing down there. The rear of my bass speaker connector had water sitting in it and the maority of everything else is wet too. Don't know If this is normal or if not, how it's getting in.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to Renault with the water in the doors. They offered to seal the doors, as they apparently don't have that in them already!! Of course it would have cost me £175.

I have a huge in-car dehumidifier, which is basically 3 bags of dry silica, buy it doesnt seem to fix the problem. I've dried these out on the radiator to make sure they are not saturated.

It's bloody annoying.

Wondering if it's worth putting anything inside the doors themselves where the wiring loom etc sits.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You have to cure the water ingress to solve this i'm afraid!
I'ts the diff with dampness inside car and cold outside that give's this effect!

Ask lemon i think he has posts on door card leaks on here!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
LOL @ getting you to pay for the doors to be waterproofed. Suppose you could try something inside the doors but how long before they get fully loaded and need drying out etc. I mite just stick the house dehumidifier in my car for a few hours and see If that helps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I heard that if you have previously changed the speakers in the doors you can be more likely to suffer water in the doors. Sure someone will know why

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
there is a large amount of water in the car somewhere. unless its stripped and dried forget the bags, if you had blocked drains before thats was your problem the water will not dry out over time.

and yes there is a mod to seal your door cards and yes it does cost money as you have no manufactures warrenty left

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if the drains were blocked previously, its basically tough, the water is there to stay?

I've not had my speakers changed.

I think it is the water in the doors that's part of the problem. Even though there isn't much, it will still cause condensation I think.

Might try a dehumidifier in the car like MJ said.

Is there anywhere else I should check for water? Any common places where it forms?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Other than lots of bags of silica & a mahoosive dehumidfier, how about a full car cover? I know it's far from ideal (particularly if you park on the road), and won't account for the times you are out and about / commuting in the wet but it might help prevent water ingress from above, door & window seals?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is one thing i dont miss about the megane cos it was a pain in the arse for it! now i have a heated windscreen ;D
LOOOL. Wish I fecking did.

Putting a cover over the car may make it worse, as I thought ventilation was important in combating condensation.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
So if the drains were blocked previously, its basically tough, the water is there to stay?
no you need to take the carpet up and foam out to dry

I've not had my speakers changed.

I think it is the water in the doors that's part of the problem. Even though there isn't much, it will still cause condensation I think.
That will cause a bit but not ice

Might try a dehumidifier in the car like MJ said.

Is there anywhere else I should check for water? Any common places where it forms?
Yes take the lower rear seats squibs out see if you can pull the carpet up and put or hand down the back and have a feel under the foam.
only other way is just to strip it anyway

1 - 20 of 29 Posts