Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I are talking about getting a cheap RWD car for drifting. The criteria is that it must be cheap, that is it. It does'nt have to look good or anything or even have a lot of power. Just enough to be able to drift.
Stav from redline had a 200bhp merc and i remember reading that he had as much fun drifting that than he did with anything else.
So we are thinking BMW/Merc, MR2 turbo's MX5's?. Anything really, what do you think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
An mx is always a good shout preferably an import as they have a torsen LSD stock.
Can always weld the diff but it does make the car a pig to drive normally.

A 325i with a welder Would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My brother started his drifting in a 5 series bmw, they are good and strong, he now drifts a E30 estate with a V8.
If you can pick up a 200 or similar they are very easy to drift, but you get what you pay for with a lot of those

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
mr2's are difficult to control from what ive seen - back ends are a bit loose

I went out in my mates 370bhp skyline last week - doesnt go in a straight line! absolutley nuts - probably a bit more than you want to spend but you can get them pretty cheap these days

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
i am also thinking about this, to buy something like this for myself, old 328 or 325 will be me choice :)

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help. What BHP do the E30 325i's have?.

We are only looking at spending about £1- 1.5k max.

·
Registered
231 Posts
E36 of any kind and a slippy / welded diff.
S13/S14 with the same.

MX5's a bit small to drift properly in (unless you have extremely good reactions and an amazing suspension set up) and MR2's don't drift well at all.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That narrows it down. I think a BMW is looking like the best bet.

Has anyone on here done driftig at Crail?.

·
Registered
618 Posts
rx8's are cheap as chips now and low mileage ones are safe as long as you keep the oil checked...our old one was crazy for drifting!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
RX8's are ****ty for proper drifting as they are too heavy for the torque they make (even the 231) and their maintenance costs are too high with bits too hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You dont need to worry so much about bhp. Depending where you are going to be drifting, but what you want is a good second and third gear with plenty of torque

1 - 20 of 20 Posts