Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since yesterday I'm a happier guy...
...after a 5 month wait I finally got my car.
Outstanding by all standards:

- 225 RS
- dark grey
- 5 door
- xenon lights
- full leather
- 18" alloys with Dunlop Maxx tyres
- ventilated brake disks front and back
- cabasse radio 6CD changer

It's a pleasure to drive even if I can't get the full fun (1000km to warm up!).

But the drive is a thrill. Very comfortable and I just love the smell of a new car.

The gear box is 'funtastic'. Very precise with short moves and you can go on 3dr in the city traffic like it is an automatic gear box.
Still have a lot to get from the car so I'll be giving some more insights as it goes (this weekend I'm going for a 600km drive..........)

Very glad the forum is back again.

Happy new year everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 'old' car is a Megane Classic first series (2000 plates - 1.4L - 80HP), great car, very reliable and confortable and not too thirsty. I don't drive it very often, the wife does as she has to do longer drives every day :(

I was driving (until yesterday) an old R19 Chamade (1992 plates - 1.4L - 75HP). It has 130.000km and still kicks some adrenalin, mostly because it has great performances and no ABS :lol:

Now thing are going to be different :twisted:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
News after 300km

Just finished my first 300km, lucky enough to be on a highway.

The car is full of gadgets that make a long trip very easy.

Cruise control is a must. Relieves a lot of tension on the right foot and you can use the regulation buttons on the steering wheel to increase/decrease speed and never use the right pedal (very convenient).

The same goes for the speed limiter, very usefull when you get out of the highway, having no idea of the mitakes you can do evaluating your current speed.

As it goes for those regular things in a car (lights, wipers, mirrors) the car handles everything..................litteraly: lights go on when darkness comes around, wipers wipe when water hits the windshield and the rear view mirror goes dark when the guy following you forgets to turn off the hig beams.

More impressions on gear box confort to come ....

See the pictures at:

http://www.gfoto.com/UserAlbum.asp?uid=42CEF23B6D48437A8B5B5A7A522692CC&alid=

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the story goes on..

Now with 4 days and 750km. Its a pity one has to work so today the drive was a short one, but yesterday I did the return trip and have new insights.

Again in the highway but this time in heavy rain. The car feels very secure, even at high speeds. The Dunlop tyres handle the excess water with ease. Just felt a bit insecure above 180 km/h. Anyway this was only for an instant. Most of the time I just enjoyed the cruise and the music.

Another thing about the music is that if you go above 160km/h you start to ear some aerodinamic noise. It seems like the lateral rear view mirrors have too much drag.

The rear window also tends to get all the dirt on the road. Somehow, even if you are moving the water keeps hitting the rear window !!

Suspension is a bit stiffer than I was used to but still confortable. Even a small course on a dirt road wasn't that bad, althoug I was afraid about the health of the tyres. I expect this fears will wear off in some months 8)

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
cool report 8)

the wing mirrors making a noise can be sorted i think, like on most cars adjusments can be made but then again at high speed im concentrating to much to notice wind noise. my last car (same as new one exactly) had wind noise but the new one doesnt and its techincally older in age but exactly the same model, im sure you dealer could help you with that.

as for firm suspension in brittian were used to crappy potholed roads where only the softest suspension does you any good. doesnt bother me i ran my clio on ultra hard koni`s and just ragged over them like a rally car

fuck yea ! :lol:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
yuri as you can see iv got the same model colour the lot, i also have a road noise wen on the motorway doing say around 80mph on cruise control but mine seems to come from the rear wheel on the drivers side, seems to get louder wen breaking but only from that wheel, i have bin told its the abs working on the rear cos the 225s with cup suspension have a different sep than the norm 225s , it does piss me off at times keep humming all the time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Running in?

My car is relatively new (late Dec), Black with full leather and Trophy pack and tints.

Just thinking about your 1000 kms running in, I was not told that at all by my dealer, I have done 500 miles now and not been holding back in the slightest.

Can you give me an idea of what the max revs you were supposed to use and can anyone else tell me if they were told to run their car in?

..IS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe they make that recommendation just to be on the safe side.

I don't know what kind of conditioning they do to the motors before they put them inside the car but I doubt they keep them running for say acouple of days.

Metal pieces are casted apart from each other and even if the engeneering is almost perfect there are allways imperfections that will disappear with continuing use by means of friction.

Any frictioning metal parts tend to scratch each other, and this is worse if you abuse a cold engine, as the parts tend to be smaller and with wider gaps. As the engine warms the parts dilate and addapt and any 'shaking' is avoided.

All this tensions are more dangerous on a new engine. As the engine is used the small imperfections will disappear and the contact surfaces will gain strength (any rubbing surface will become harder and more dense with continuing use - its physics).

Conclusion: with continuing use metal parts will addapt better and become harder so they will resist wear and tear better.

So having a 1000km soft run does have some logic but I can't say it is a must.

Just completed 1400km on mine today, after 6 days of posession :D :D :D

I doubt I will ever go to 7500rpm :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yuri..

If it blows up they fix it right?

Thats what Warranty is for, I am not going to red line the car so I wil have no worries if they plug it in, they'll soon see I haven''t abused it.

So apart from may be going in early for an oil change I see no reason to worry.

You bought your car in Portugal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. The problem was that they only sold the 3 door version, so I had to wait 5 month for my 5 door (still don't understand why).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts