Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking about what project im going to do for my final year of uni and i am allowed to do anything i want. I want to be involved in motorsport at some point in my life and would like to do a project that is related as id actually enjoy doing the work for it. I have been thinking of designing a 2 piece brake assembly (bell, disc and fasteners etc.) and i need some info on the type of failures that generally occur with these types of brakes.

I have tried google to no avail and i will probably be calling AP and the like - closer to the time- but since a fair few of you do track days and know ur stuff i thought uz might have the knowledge.

I can assume that stress cracking around the bell & disc holes is common, would i be wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I've never seen cracks around bell/rotor mountings. If they weren't torqued up correctly, i.e. loose the studs would more likel shear off. If you over torque them, well, you're studying engineering so I bet you can say yourself.
No offence but 2 piece brakes are not new and there's some robust designs out there, what direction is your project going to take, other than to prove you can use engineering principles and software? I'm just challenging it to make sure it has enough scope. I'd go for something with a little more vision if you want to get some attention.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Lots of scope there for some detailed study and design. Just on discs alone:

Disc material spec and weight/performance

Cross drilled disc stress raiser and crack propagation

Disc design and directional vane cooling

Disc material properties with low to high temperature variations

Disc thermal performance characteristics

Disc wear and performance v material choice

Disc to pad contact area for torque loading

Disc surface slotting (or cross drilling), depth, shape and performance characteristics

Etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
As a masters student I'd suggest you need to do a project which has scope to go further. It can't just revisit what's already known and been done through a review, that's just part of it. I know you may not have thought of this but have you'll need to have some original thinking or innovative application of your findings as you go. That's what I meant by scope.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
As a masters student I'd suggest you need to do a project which has scope to go further. It can't just revisit what's already known and been done through a review, that's just part of it. I know you may not have thought of this but have you'll need to have some original thinking or innovative application of your findings as you go. That's what I meant by scope.
Some wise words there Streetfighter and obviously much appreciated with that great response and interaction from the OP.

Hopefully the motorsport world is on immediate standby and ready to receive such top flight operators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts