Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could any one please enlighten me as to y i was told by the police to inform my insurance company of a nonfault fit and run bac in march and now because of this my insurance went from 800 fully comp to 1500 ? surly this cant be rite can it ?
im sure the search police will shut this topic down for what ever reason but i have looked on search and found noting on this topic !
any info on this would b great just to ease an all ready confused brain
thanks daz

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Simplle really. Failure to disclose an incident. Or did you disclose at the time and now they find you a greater risk to insure? I can't read your text speak so if you want to explain in English I will try and help.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Unfortunately it is. There is a fair chunk of info on PH if you want to look further at it. In short the insurance companies are of the opinion that if you have a non fault claim then you are more likely to have future non-fault claims and as a result load the premiums. Even protected ncb doesn't stop this happening.

Having said that a £700 increase seems steep / absurd. It might be that your current insurer prefers to have completely clean drivers and so has given you an uncompetitive quote. Have you tried shopping around? Also have you phoned your current insurer to ask why the price increase was so large?

·
Registered
62 Posts
There isnt such a thing as a non fault hit and run im afraid. if there is no third party to claim from then it goes against you. unless certain insurers specify differently.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
any accident you are involved in be it your fault or someone else's will go against you. I was informed a few years ago to tell my personal car insurance about an accident I had in a company can insured by them, luckily who I was insured with at the time didn't care but a friend in the industry told me his company wold have increased premiums as a result. I think your best bet is to hop around a bit I'm sure you will lower it from that.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Would protected no claims discount help in this case? I'm just getting enough NCD to make it worth looking at protecting it but If you have an accident (your fault or not) and still have to declare it then your premium would surely go up?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
It is and isn't worth it: the NCB is applied as a percentage discount to the premium price (e.g. 60% if you have a good few years). In the event of an accident where you are involved, you the get categorised as being a higher risk than previously and when you come to renew your premium is increased as a result (and is then discounted by the amount of ncb you have). What it does protect against is where the accident is your fault or split 50-50 where you would then stand to lose your ncb in addition to being a higher risk (i.e. watch your insurance cost rocket).

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As said at the start I never made a claim I was in told. Y the police to inform them and now arian fooks has bumped the price up for that reason ! I payed for the damage out of my own pocket ? If this is how it work then y do we have to inform them if I pay my self an y pay a for insurance at all if they get a sniff of a claim they bang the price up ? Iv bin driving a long time I'm 32 and iv allways bin a careful driver sumone hits my car and I pay this can't be right ! That being said I did shop around and it turns out after speaking to sky that they r trying to pull a fast buck so flux has now lose another customer ! Thanks for the insight tho guys

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There isnt such a thing as a non fault hit and run im afraid. if there is no third party to claim from then it goes against you. unless certain insurers specify differently.
There is a no fault hit and run because it wasn't my fault and she hit me and ran even the police called it that and they watched her do it ! Lol

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
There is a no fault hit and run because it wasn't my fault and she hit me and ran even the police called it that and they watched her do it ! Lol
It would appear that the insurance companies think differently. At the end of the day they can choose how to evaluate you as a risk, and if you don't like what one company quotes you, all you can do is negotiate or go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I don't understand how can I b classed as a risk when I was totally in the right ? Everything I did was textbook according to the police ? If that's the case why do elderly get cheaper insurance than most people and they are more a "risk" then middle age folk ? Tbh I think insurance company's pick a number out of a hat and double it as I spoke to them again today and the price changed 3 times lol

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
That's what I don't understand how can I b classed as a risk when I was totally in the right ? Everything I did was textbook according to the police ? If that's the case why do elderly get cheaper insurance than most people and they are more a "risk" then middle age folk ? Tbh I think insurance company's pick a number out of a hat and double it as I spoke to them again today and the price changed 3 times lol
You are not wrong.

UK car insurance companies are money making cartels with little transparency, internal backhanders and cosy arrangements all paid for by the driver.

The OFT is now investigating. Let’s hope they ream out the Richard Turpins.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
In the meantime we just need to play the game as best we can. Never just pay the renewal quote - even if it's better than you get quoted elsewhere (unlikely but possible, mine was) it's still worth negotiating, as they will always have something they can give away.

Also look at ways of getting the premium down - wives/girlfriends and parents on a policy can often reduce the cost, assuming they have a good record.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Remember these people need to live at your address full time otherwise its fraud.
There's nothing to stop you having people on your insurance who don't live at your address. Sure, it's fraudulent if you claim they're living with you when they aren't, but my in-laws used to be on my wife's insurance and I don't recall her being asked if they lived with us, and there must be plenty of people who might want family members to be able to drive their car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts