Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Webcode, or anyone who knows!

I am booking my car in for it's first service so am going to try and get a couple of really common but not serious problems rectified.

1. The steering knock that sounds like it is coming from around the Universal Joint before the bulkhead.

2. The toxic fume sensor light flashes/stays on every now and again, probably no more than once every few weeks, something to do with coils or injectors maybe :?:

Basically is there a known proven fix for these 2 problems so I can save the monkeys down my local stealers changing fekkin everything to try and fix them :?:

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
mines off in on tuesday for the toxic light on and the engine dancing around the engine bay. i'll let you know the outcome!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hello

Well been to the dealer today, and the car showed up many old faults and at some point all four coils have failed

There was a live fault which indicated a fault with cylinder 3, detonation i think(can't remember) and something to do with low fuel????

The outcome is its getting four new coils on friday, bonus!
hopefully it will sort it out once and for all!

Phil :D
Oh and i left the DV on and the boost gauge in, with no mention of it, even when i revved the tits off it outside to get the light to come on!
Vroomm...Tishhh! :twisted:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Phil,,,,

Got some good news from my service centre.

ITS NOT COILS :(

Basically they moved the coils int different positions to see if the fault moves to a different cylinder and it hadnt.. Fault is still in cylinder 1.

So.......basically it needs to go in and its either 1 of 4 things.

1. Cylinder is f00ked
2. Injector
3. Gasket problem
4. Another problem we dont know about.

so all good news so far

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ooops lets hope its option 2!

well if they swop all 4 coils and that f**kin light comes on again, i'll need a new car, cos i'll drive it straight into the showroom without opening the door/window! :twisted:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
lol

The RTE at this place seems genuine and appears to know his shit. He also explained the steering wheel locking knock noise. Basically there is a bolt at teh end of something that gets loose due to the steering thingy being made of galvanised steel. sorry foro the termanology (thingy) but i think you will get the guist.

·
Founder
8,209 Posts
probably a good idea not to refer to renault mechs as mokeys as our good friend Webcode is a "Renault Technician" not all of them are as great as webcode though :)

G

·
Sounds like an Injector fault. This is a pretty common defect on this version of the F4R..

The clicking noise is indeed the steering column bottom Universal Joint.. The noise happens when the back of the UJ knocks/flexes against the steering rack pinion when the wheel is turned..
The fix is to remove the old securing nut/bolt and throw it away, apply some silicon adehsive to the inside face of the UJ and replace the securing nut and bolt with a new one..
Again this is a common problem across the whole Megane II range..

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Webcode.....they confirmed that its 80% confirmed as an injector problem.

Should they be changed singly or in pairs?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Cheers guv.

Also....whats the idle timing supposed to be as mine was running at 2ms then we had it on clip and the RTE said it looked a little lean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts