Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right these last few days I've noticed that when I put my foot down the car has been limiting out at around 5000rpm?! It's worse when it's cold!?

Has anyone experienced this before and is it a fault or is it normal when the engine is cold????

When it limits out it feels like you've just hit a brick wall! Not nice:(

Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Let it warm up for about 5 mins before you leave in the morning, and after another 5/10mins of driving it'll be warm.

My brother's 225 warms up pretty quick really.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I drive 9miles to work and mines warm after about 4miles, could be the thermostat gone, mine went and the cold limiter was perm on. Best way to test is to take the car out for a good run and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that advice lads, hope it's not the therm, won't find out now till after xmas now as it is tucked up in garage :)

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
As far as I am aware the cold limiter also works on oil temp. It will take another 10 - 15 mins on top of water temp before oil is up to temp.
Shame there is no oil temp gauge on the meg.

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
Iv now had 3 thermostats in my car now.
*Once was the coolant temp would fluctuate between normal operating temp (the second white line) and the first white line, depending on driving style and outside temperature. Eventually the thermostat gave in completely and the car wouldn't lift unless left idiling for 30 minutes, but as soon as the car was driven on the road the temp would plummet.
* second thermostat the rubber diaphram around the valve part of the thermostat had split, allowing coolant to circulate constantly causing temp issues and cold limiter problems.

You could be aswell as to remove the thermostat and check it, easy enough job :) (3x8mm headed bolts to remove. Check the stat for split seals, etc and even put the stat in boiling water to check operation)

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
How long does it take to do 4 miles though? Either way your wrong.
Well considering i dont drive like a tool and i have to sit at lights a lot to goto work quite a while to do four miles. Glad you know my car better than me mate. Plus mine is an import so a lot of the gubbings are in a different place as fred found out.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Its not based on oil temp. I used to drive the car for a good hour and the cold limiter would still be in due to a dodgy thermostat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts