Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a 3 door 225 and was wondering if there are any tips as to what to look for when buying and do they have any common faults? I had a peugeot 207 gti previous and had nothing but trouble from day 1 due to a "de-pollution fault" and was wondering if the megane has any similar draw backs? I've been sifting through a few posts on here and havent seen anything similar but was wondering if anyone who reads this coould shed some light on the situation as im a bit weary now about buying another french hot hatch....... but i do have the hots for a 225!!
:beach[1]:

Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Not sure what your budget covers but R26s are quite reasonable nowadays! Insurance group is still 17 whether you go for a 225 or an R26 - I think you'll get more for your money with the R26!

One thing to look out for, and whether you want to spend the extra but to guarantee a good few years... get the clutch looked at as soon as you buy... I bought mine at 32k and within only a year of having it (with only a few hard drives) I noticed the clutch slipping and the DMF will be a recommended swap at the same time!

I don't want people to be put off with the bill but I really think it wise to get the clutch done as soon as you can for your own piece of mind.... don't forget it's a performance car at the end of the day! - I've just had mine done and I'm now rest assured for a while knowing it's been done.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a budget of up to 8k but wanna keep a few spare to carry out some mods, looking for at least an 05 plate onwards with low mileage.

Thanks for the advice buddy, I'm still a bit of a noob as to what the car has to offer.... Is there a great deal of difference between the r26 and the standard 225?

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Get and R26 if you can afford it, there is no point in buying a 225 if you can get one for the budget. And I wouldn't (from experience) jump straight into modding it.

You're much better off getting a decent one in the first place and save some cash for mods than buy a cheap ropey one but have modzzzzzzz innit.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
low mileage R26 without a doubt. the R26 has recaros stiffer suspension limited slip diff its more of a drivers car

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Get an R26 instead...Wish i had :) 225's are ****e, i've had more go wrong with mine then i ever have with any of my other Renaults.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Nothing ever went wrong with my 225 in 18 months apart from window reg and radiator. Not bad
Yup 18months, i've had mine nealy 5yrs :D

Clutch/Flywheel, Hub bearings, driveshaft, had a spring snap, 3x cracked alloys 2nd time my rotary switch has gone...i can keep going lol, the R26 has a better build quality imho

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
5 years! Fair play mate you must really love it
It is the bane of my life lol. But if i can hold out 1 maybe 2 more years ill be 30 and will be able to insure a nice heavily modified motor for dirt cheap. I think the megs around 700 atm due to the area but when i move and all that stuff it will fall down lol

·
6,404 Posts
R26 will go the same way its the same way its all about luck of the draw. i have had and got issues with mine but its a 6 year old car

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Just cuming up to my first year with my meg and all I'll say is get warrenty on it if u can ! All the bits bradders is on about iv had done free on charge ! The clutch is on its way but I don't mind as I havnt really spend out on it yet ! As lemon said its all about luck and IMO how u drive it give it ****e every day and it won't last . I love my 225 and I'm sure u will love urs whether it b a 225 or a r26
Hope u get one !

·
6,404 Posts
yeah ive had issues and its cost me a lot up to my 172 and i drove that very hard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts