Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
i'm new to the forum and was looking for some solid advice from owners of r26's :)
i know that there may well be topics on here in regards to guides/general faults etc etc but i wanted to get all of my information in one area.

really what i want to know is, is there any major faults with the r26 (consistant ones that people will get at some point of owning the car etc)

the big worry for me is that people talk of the sort of numb feeling the gear box has when selecting gears and doesn't feel very precise, i drive a golf gti now and have had several v.a.g car's and i understand from what people say the renaults can feel a bit poor on the gearbox side. can this be rectified if it is true by a polybush dogbone mount/short shift gear linkage etc?

i'm looking to get a low milage one around 15-20k so wear and tear shouldn't be to much of an issue.

what are they like day to day? i'm used to coiloverd and impractical car's so i doubt it will be anything to bad!

reliabilty after tuning? i'm not thinking o.t.t just front mount re-map and an exhaust system how do they take to things like that?
thanks in anticipation guys
really am looking forward to getting one just need a bit of advice !
Alex

·
Registered
477 Posts
The biggest fault I think is the window regulators packing up,

A popular and brilliant mod for the gearbox is a short shift mod sold by a member on here. Make the gear change awesome.

Were in notts are you mate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply mate ,
from long eaton buddy :)
should be looking to get one in the next couple of months (waiting for a compensation claim due to a bad car crash where an old man fell asleep at the wheel causing me to have extensive metal in my ankle and an honourable discharge from the army)
looking at these and astra vxr nurburgring editions however im more tempted by the toys in the megane!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
cheers for the reply mate ,
from long eaton buddy :)
should be looking to get one in the next couple of months (waiting for a compensation claim due to a bad car crash where an old man fell asleep at the wheel causing me to have extensive metal in my ankle and an honourable discharge from the army)
looking at these and astra vxr nurburgring editions however im more tempted by the toys in the megane!
Depends on how you drive,the VXR has none of the handling finesse of a R26,mainly because of its lack of LSD.
I suspect if you are used to a composed GTI chassis,the R26 will suit you more than the more ragged VXR.

In regards to the shortshift,its me who machines/supplies them,including the last poster.
It would be nice if you met Tas for a quick spin so you can see how good the short shift mod is.

You are dead right about the R26 having a vague shift as standard,the shortshifter improves the feel and travel immensely.
A R26 with a stage 1 tune(260hp/280lb/ft on average),uprated pads and shifter is a very competent cross country tool,punching well above its weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts