Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Quaife LSD fitted last year. Does it do anything on snow?
Will give it a go tomorrow if it's not all melted.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes it will help, to an extent.
You still need to be very smooth though since any torque biasing diff (Quaife, Torsen, GKN) will suffer torque collapse once it's bias ratio is exceeded. I.e it will still spinnup wheels.
Snow mode on the rs 250 worked well with the LSD but yes summer Tyres are the main limiting factor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got stuck yesterday! car was useless!! couldn't believe with the slightest of hill it just started spinning. Was highly embarrassed when merc's and an astra went up the hill with no problems!
In the end I just turned the TC off and did alot of wheel spins haha - got towed out by my dads mate in a landrover

·
Registered
213 Posts
Above 40mph on a dual carriage way was, let's say, "interesting". I think it was made worse by the pair of brand new PS3's that got fitted earlier that day. Hills and stuff were alright though but this was about an hour after it started snowing. Didn't even bother trying to go out yesterday after the night before though!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not sure if its a myth, but I've heard that dropping the front tyre pressure should help the tyres grip better? Anyone?
I left my car in the drive and used public transport to get into work, I used to have a M sport 330D and that was absolutely useless on the snow (auto gearbox and PS2 255's on the rear)

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Dropping the pressure increases the contact patch of the tyre so in theory increases grip. Not sure how this works with low profile tyres though as there's not much sidewall to give

·
Registered
240 Posts
Winter tyres all the way
watched and laughed :yes:at some neigbours struggle to get a Merc and a van off the drive Sunday morning
then just got in mine and drove off with no problems:tt2:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dropping the pressure increases the contact patch of the tyre so in theory increases grip. Not sure how this works with low profile tyres though as there's not much sidewall to give

Not sure i agree completely. Half the problem the meg has is the wide tyres hence sh!tbox cars with biscuit tin tyres flying passed on snowy days. You surely want a skinny tyre that cuts through snow rather than a big fat tyre that sits on top of it sliding around.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Not sure i agree completely. Half the problem the meg has is the wide tyres hence sh!tbox cars with biscuit tin tyres flying passed on snowy days. You surely want a skinny tyre that cuts through snow rather than a big fat tyre that sits on top of it sliding around.
I agree. I was probably being too simplistic. I think compound and tread pattern plays the largest part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts