Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but another newbie question.

This being my first car with a proper LSD, I've only one concern so far. When on full lock, right or left the front seems to 'trip' itself one time only. Not really sure how to explain it. The first time I felt it, it was like I had run over a stone.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes, normal, especially in damp slippy conditions.
I'm not 100% sure it's the LSD though as opposed to just a quirk of suspension geometry, wide Tyres and short wheelbase.
Cars with a clutch type diff like my Autodelta Alfa GTA Definitely do this - they have a lot more preload. ..but I haven't noticed any of my three other cars that have torque sensing diffs doing it (Torsen, M-Factory, and Quaife).

I wonder do non cup cars suffer from it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, normal, especially in damp slippy conditions.
I'm not 100% sure it's the LSD though as opposed to just a quirk of suspension geometry, wide Tyres and short wheelbase.
Cars with a clutch type diff like my Autodelta Alfa GTA Definitely do this - they have a lot more preload. ..but I haven't noticed any of my three other cars that have torque sensing diffs doing it (Torsen, M-Factory, and Quaife).

I wonder do non cup cars suffer from it?
Mine is a non-cup and definitely does it. I found an old thread about this whilst searching the forum the other day, and PM'd the op to see if he'd had any success in talking to renault about it. He replied and told me they replaced the driver's side drive shaft and anti-roll bar bushes and this had fixed the problem. He did say it was a long story though, so i asked for a bit more detail.

In the thread - and the other threads i found about the same issue - lots of people replied saying their 250 did the same thing (cup and non-cup alike), so i don't think it's a "fault" as much as a "quirk" of the suspension geometry as you say.

It feels to me like the car is primarily following the inside wheel of the turn. The outside wheel feels like it's pointing in a slightly different direction and so gets dragged across the tarmac to follow the cornering line of the inside wheel, once enough tension builds up to break traction with the road. It definitely doesn't feel "nice" and it's hard to imagine it's not causing some sort of wear somewhere, so i try to avoid full lock or at least go very very slowly when i am at full lock. Trouble is at the moment it's so wet and cold (in the uk) that traction is very low anyway, no doubt exacerbating the problem. Like i say though, going really really slowly seems to reduce it. Perhaps that gives the tyre wall enough time to flex and absorb the tension, pulling the wheel as it straightens up, without skipping along the road.

I'm defo going to mention it to Renault when i have it serviced, and tell them about the repair that the other forum member (whose name i forget) had done.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Do you mean the front end skipping as you turn? I get this when pulling away too fast with alot of lock on. r26.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Same problem with me as well. I thought it might have been the LSD but clearly not if non cups do it as well.

Feels horrible and as though the car just doesnt want to turn on full or nearly full lock.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel more comfortable knowing it's not just mine but still it is an uneasy experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
getting more used to it now....

Been having a play with the car on some quiet backroads with a variety of surfaces and twistys. Even more impressed how good the handling is, and how you can make the back end move to adjust mid corner. It's very predictable once you get used to it's behaviours. Cannot wait to get it on track.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts