Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
You could become chartered in which case it is protected.

What would you set as the entry qualification? Bachelors / Masters, or that you have worked in a "proper" engineering job for a specific amount of time?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i work with all sorts of other electricians that call themselves "electrical engineers" these guys make me laugh they don't even know what they are :cowboy:

an engineer is the big cheese, the gorgonzola
us sparks are at the bottom of the cheese ladder where just baby bells :)

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I Have to admit, I dont agree with this at all,

how many people can give themselves a job title of "engineer"?

too many in my opinion

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could become chartered in which case it is protected.

What would you set as the entry qualification? Bachelors / Masters, or that you have worked in a "proper" engineering job for a specific amount of time?
Yeah i think getting a engineering degree or working in industry for a set amount of time would be the entry requirements by the sounds of it.

I Have to admit, I dont agree with this at all,

how many people can give themselves a job title of "engineer"?

too many in my opinion
Each to their own i suppose but i think thats the point of it that there is 'too many' because of all the repair men being given the title of 'engineer'. Not taking anything away from these guys but its a bit of a kick in the stones that people like myself and other spend year of their life to get a degree to be an engineer and someone applies for a job in British Gas say and gets the title right away.

For example would you call a car mechanic a mechanical engineer ?

Its obviously going to upset people whatever the outcome but for me who is spending huge amounts of time and stress studying for exams to be an engineer i couldnt agree with this more tbh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im a technical installation engineer for british gas and i can assure you i had to study and have the stress off exams. i also have to resit my gas safe every 4 or so years to keep my job. i take my job very seriously and have a sence of achievement for what i gained (qualifications and knowledge).

So why should i be disqualified from being classed as an engineer after all im a skilled tradesman who has a duty of care due to my qualificationsand profession.

on the other hand i do agree that some engineers should not be classed as such

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im a technical installation engineer for british gas and i can assure you i had to study and have the stress off exams. i also have to resit my gas safe every 4 or so years to keep my job. i take my job very seriously and have a sence of achievement for what i gained (qualifications and knowledge).

So why should i be disqualified from being classed as an engineer after all im a skilled tradesman who has a duty of care due to my qualificationsand profession.

on the other hand i do agree that some engineers should not be classed as such
Totally respect that, i didnt mean to demean ur profession or anything but like you say there are a good few out there who spoil it for the rest of you and give you a bad name.

*i'd just like to point out that i wasnt trying to start an argument here, just thought some people might feel the same as i do and would like to know about the petition*

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I think perhaps you'd have to have a universal and agreed defintion of Engineer to move this forward and the petition doesn't really do this. I agree in principal that the term engineer is misused in certain areas, where perhaps technician may be more appropriate. Lets not forget that a job title is actually independant from what you have to go through to get said title, industry and business dependant.

Engineer - a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering: E.g. a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.

Chartered status is not easy to come by in engineering compared to other industries, this frustrates me more than the misuse of the term "engineer".

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It really annoys me when the Photocopier "engineer" comes to fix the copier, hahaha... As a designer I dont call my self an engineer as I have no degree, I have an HNC and an NC in Engineering, and have 8 years experienec as a designer (i did work for 2 years as a field engineer haha)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Sadly, the UK has slowly run down engineering both as a profession and as an industry.

This will change though as the concept of circular money, coffee shops, tanning centres and I want a job in the public sector doing nothing (with internet access) is now finally ousted as the financial model for ultimate failure.

New years honours list = TV personalities and people that ‘do charity’. Where is the recognition for the inspirational minds leading the cutting edge of technology and engineering achievements?

Time for the UK to start making things again... and I don’t give a fook what you call the people doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Sadly, the UK has slowly run down engineering both as a profession and as an industry.

This will change though as the concept of circular money, coffee shops, tanning centres and I want a job in the public sector doing nothing (with internet access) is now finally ousted as the financial model for ultimate failure.

New years honours list = TV personalities and people that ‘do charity’. Where is the recognition for the inspirational minds leading the cutting edge of technology and engineering achievements?

Time for the UK to start making things again... and I don’t give a fook what you call the people doing it.
Well said, completely agree.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am a toolmaker have been in the trade for over 15 years I call myself a toolmaker but my job title is tooling engineer (don't know why it was changed), now I could not care less if people call themselves engineers because all it comes down to is if you can do the job or not.

@Conley saying it is time for the UK to start making things, I agree but we are going to struggle.
the company I work for put a advert in the paper and job centre for a cnc turner a while ago and they only had a couple of people apply and the one they set on was :censored: he said he had been in engineering for years but his definition of engineering was pressing start on a machine he could not problem solve.
my mates company is the same they cannot get any skilled people, all people whant to do now is sit behind a computer they are not interested in any manual work.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts

Unfortunatly we cannot live on the pence they pay far eastern workers for doing the `making`.
Quality matters for little these days.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
This country is making things! Maybe the general public are mislead by media?
Rolls Royce (auto + Aero), Goodridg (aero), Airbus, Nissan, Toyota, JCB, Caterpillar, Perkins, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini. Tata. How many more? Many of theses are enjoying great success due to BRIC economic growth and current currency strengths/weakness. Don't fall straight in the trap that the low cost countries will rule us, we are currently not as weak here as many would think!
Many UK facilites have acknowledged the engineering shortage and are positioning themselves for future success. Some have started their own projects to address this with links in to schools and new training centres.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
This country is making things! Maybe the general public are mislead by media?
Rolls Royce (auto + Aero), Goodridg (aero), Airbus, Nissan, Toyota, JCB, Caterpillar, Perkins, Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini. Tata. How many more? Many of theses are enjoying great success due to BRIC economic growth and current currency strengths/weakness. Don't fall straight in the trap that the low cost countries will rule us, we are currently not as weak here as many would think!
Many UK facilites have acknowledged the engineering shortage and are positioning themselves for future success. Some have started their own projects to address this with links in to schools and new training centres.
We just need a whole load more of what we do best. Re-balance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts