Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had a race with my brother in his Clio 182 Cup. Started at about 30 MPH then booted it down a straight level road. There was nothing in it at all. I was just a say creeping by him when we had to break for a milk float. Must have got to about 90 Mph. Thought the megane might have been faster than it was then.

:(

·
Registered
710 Posts
Same here I had a quick race with a 182 cup and he was behind me I was pulling away slowly. He did have a different exhaust on it might have made it a bit quicker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice car by the way, only the second one I have seen including my own. A proper Cup!

Rowdy.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
On the road there is very little between a Clio 172/182 and a Megane 225!!

The Megane would pull very very slightly but if you bear in mind that there is only about 0.5sec to 60 difference. On the road that translates as very little!!

I would have thought that off the mark they would stay pretty level but if you've both say crusing in 3rd or 4th the Megane would pulll away from the Clio!

That would be my conclusion from owning a 172 then a 225 :D :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree, as a former 172 owner I guarantee there is very little if any difference up to 90ish mph no matter what gear your in. The only time the 225 has an advantage is when you add passengers into the mix because the Clio just doesnt have the waft when your 3 or 4 up. People should never under estimate any of the RenaultSport Clio variants because given the chance they'll give you a nasty bite on the ass :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree,

I had a Clio 182 Cup but got the 225 as I needed a bigger car. The Clio is Amazing. Had a banging race with a Civic Type R. Nothing in it at all, if anything I was pulling away. I find the Megane is slightly better pulling with the 50% increase in torque compared with the Clio. Its much better as you have stated when you have more people in the car. Thats the extra torque I guess.

Rowdy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The guy in the civic couldn't have been in the power. From 6 - 8 they are very fast...extremely. Compare the 60 - 120 times with other hot hatches and you will see.

They are also extremely easy to get caught out of the power as well. And where they are, they are easily conquerable (is that a word).

Ex civic owner, now 225 cup owner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the Civics are really quick. 200 BHp with VTEC. Amazing engines. Think the magane would give it a good go though.

Rowdy.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
All these cars are very close as far as real road use!!

The Clios are great, very rapid motors and amazing value for money too. The Megane just makes a good step up in size with a slight increase in performance.

I used to find the Clio a fairly intense drive for day to day use, not that comfy, especially crawling along in traffic. The Megane on the other hand ticks the performance box as well as comfort and a lot better build quality!!! :D

Civic Type-Rs ain't to bad either! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts