Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have now been the owner of a r26 for just about a month now its a 08 plate ly . i have also been the owner of a cliosport 182 cup and the 172 sport and i can say that the build quality of the clio is far better than the megane .all my cars have been standard with no mods what so ever . i am in my mid 40s and have had renault cars for most of my days . also being a renault 5 gt turbo owner which i bought from new back in the day . is it just me or do other ppl who have has a clio thing the build of the clio is better than the megane . i don't mean to open a jar or worms hear but i think its better thats all i am saying

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
Guess it depends on the particular car. I've had Clios of all ages and a Phase 1 and Phase 2 Megane and have to say that my current R26 is miles better built than all the Clio's I had, 197 included. Having said that i've also seen some rough Megane's so I reckon it's a combination of luck of the draw and how it's been looked after personally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thats just my opinion as i said . and my megane is minted 1 lady owner from new and full history with low miles and garaged from new and never. i looked at quite a lot of r26 meganes before i bought the one i have so i did look hard for a minted one and one that has not been molested either ... and u r right it does kick ass when u need the power from time to time

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
One thing I will add to the pot.

From working on my mates Ph1 sport to my own ph2 I would say there are some improvements.

Also the new meganes build quilty would be on power with my mums 09 A3. Note quite as nice a place to be, but well up there.

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
well thats just my opinion as i said . and my megane is minted 1 lady owner from new and full history with low miles and garaged from new and never. i looked at quite a lot of r26 meganes before i bought the one i have so i did look hard for a minted one and one that has not been molested either ... and u r right it does kick ass when u need the power from time to time
Well that's what I mean, it depends on look of the draw in my opinion. My Clio 197 for instance; bought it at 6k miles with one owner (so an ideal purchase really) but was always a problem child and pretty badly nailed together. Likewise i'm sure it's possible to end up with a problem child Megane in just the same way. All I will say is that from my reasonably extensive ownership of Clios and Meganes I've always found the Meganes to be generally better built. There's always exceptions to the rule though. :)

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
One thing I will add to the pot.

From working on my mates Ph1 sport to my own ph2 I would say there are some improvements.

Also the new meganes build quilty would be on power with my mums 09 A3. Note quite as nice a place to be, but well up there.
Agree with that. My R26 is much better built than my old Phase 1 225 Cup. To be honest though it's not massively surprising given the number of years they'd been building the Megane 2 for. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
who said anything about a problem child mate . i only said quality of build . and i got the luck when i bought this car , coz i looked at a load of sheds before i bought this one

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Define,poor quality build?

Money was spent elsewere in the R26,LSD,Recaros,brembos.
All designed to make you cover ground faster than all its rivals.

I will take a dodgy interior in exchange.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
define badly built . its renault for a start , and the megane is a cheap hot hatch and there is no getting away from that

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Guess it depends on the particular car. I've had Clios of all ages and a Phase 1 and Phase 2 Megane and have to say that my current R26 is miles better built than all the Clio's I had, 197 included. Having said that i've also seen some rough Megane's so I reckon it's a combination of luck of the draw and how it's been looked after personally.
This for me too

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Definitely the other way round for me, my Clio 172 was a joke.
There was something always wrong with it and it had a lot less miles on the clock than my 225.

When I first got my 225 4 years ago, the interior it felt much more solid the 172's.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I personally don't think the build is that bad at all,I have had loads of jap stuff and a couple of fords.

The Megane is ok bulks quAilty wise the odd rattle from the dash but no worse than any other car I have owned.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I personally don't think the build is that bad at all,I have had loads of jap stuff and a couple of fords.

The Megane is ok bulks quAilty wise the odd rattle from the dash but no worse than any other car I have owned.
I sorted any dash rattle with silicone spray between the dash and the window.

Was a bit of a messy job, but its now silent.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
define badly built . its renault for a start , and the megane is a cheap hot hatch and there is no getting away from that
Used price wise..a cheap hatch.
Performance and equipment wise,certainly not.
Suffers from lack of image,but if you know your drivers cars
the twingo,clio and megane sport models are all class leading.

What other manufacturer can say that.

Nothing cheap about the standard equipment i have already mentioned as well as years of chassis development that no other mainstream brand would do.

My R26 has had nothing wrong with it in 2 years.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
Why buy one then, yep it's a Renault for sure and I was expecting rattles and to my surprise mine has been faultless for 15 months now , I've had plenty of other makes of cars and this one for a drivers car is by the best , I'm well chuffed with it in fact I test drove an Audi RS4 and a 911 last week and I was gutted with the build quality of both of them to say they were both £30,000 so for now the R26 will stay with me for a while longer.

Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
My r26 has ran perfectly with no mechanical issues what so ever and I love it's all round ability.

However I can show some sympathy as the quality of the plastics are rather poor, one thing I really dislike is the doors they just feel horrible and rather tiny when you close them.

To be fair my mates 182 feels similar build quality wise just not as grown up.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thats as maybe.

However the R+D funds were spent where required. Running gear and Engine.

There is none of the competition in standard form, that would see it off around a track. IE where it is ment to be found.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts