Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard user manual that comes with the car is pretty useless for the 250, so maybe someone can help me understand what is what.

I don't have the monitor fitted so guessing all the talk about 'extreme' mode is via that bit of kit?

Down next to the right of the steering wheel, the switching between normal and sport mode I've worked out, but I guess this is just to do with the traction control. I seem to think that I have even managed to switch it off, but cannot replicate that again, although I may have dreamt that :yes[1]:

So questions...

1. can someone explain the modes, and if it's only via the monitor

2. can someone explain the settings and what they do between normal and sport

3. did I manage to get it past sport mode into 'off'? or was I dreaming that.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi John,

As i understand it, switching the ESP either to sport mode, or off completely, changes the throttle mapping from "standard," to one below the "extreme" setting which is only available in cars which have the monitor installed. I think this penultimate setting is called "sport" or "performance" or something. Obviously changing the ESP setting also changes to what extent the driver aids allow the car to break traction.

If you had a monitor (i don't have one either, so i'm speaking 3rd hand) then you'd have 5 different throttle mappings to choose from, from "snow" to "extreme".

You can switch the ESP off completely by holding the button down for 2 seconds. As above, switching the ESP off completely uses the same throttle mapping as the "sport" ESP mode. Also, you won't be able to turn the ESP off completely if either the cruise control or the limiter are engaged, or so i read in the RS250 addendum manual pamphlet thing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes, extreme, snow,and linear throttle maps are only available with the monitor.

The default mode when you start the engine is Progressive mode.
For cars without the RS monitor when you press the ESP button for a short time (around 1s) you get put into ESP Mode sport with the Sport throttle map.
So still some well judged stability control, plus snappier throttle response.
It allows a little more rear end slip than full ESP on mode, but will interfere for very committed cornering where an experienced driver may deliberately overload the rear on turn-in, especially in the wet.
When the car is in normal ESP mode, If you hold the button down for a few seconds you would go into ESP mode off, which has zero stability control and the car simply does what you tell it, for better or worse :)

On RS monitor equipped cars, when you press the ESP button it remembers the last throttle map you chose, which is nice. Plus also you can simply change it eaily as you drive by using the little "mouse wheel" behind the monitor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. I did have a play with it and thought the car was a little more 'perky' in sport mode but was not sure if that was just me. :biggthumpup:

The dealer I got the car from was pretty useless with the paperwork and could not provide the service book that came with the car, even though it's attached to the last pages of the manual (which he didn't know), so it's safe to say i never got the added pages for the 250. Need to see if I can download it from the 'My Renault' site.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
There is a seperate RS manual - if you send me your email address, I will email a PDF copy over to you...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts