Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Owned a FF RS250 for about a month now. Previous car was non-turbo Impreza and thought I'd give my quick review.

Firstly, what a beautiful car. Had a hard time deciding on the color but in the end opted for the OG. The interior I find to be quite average but that's not a negative. Driving position and the Recaros are excellent with thier grip and comfort. Read a lot of reviews about the speedo being almost "completely illegible" but I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Handling wise is where the car really shines. Gearshift is smooth and the throttle response is great particularly in Extreme mode, although I find it a little too edgy for city driving but I guess that's what Normal/Linear is for.

As for the negatives? The sound system is quite average and the ride on sub par roads
can be very bumpy. Also really have to reach for the seatbelt due to the large doors. Although these things are minor and I'd get used to over time. The attention from other motorists can be quite annoying. Almost on a daily basis I have someone revving at me/purposely accelerating passed. I blame it on the alloys and I suppose the fact that I look late teens/early twenties, although quite older, gives a "boy racer" image.

Took the car to a friends (mechanic) to suprising have him critize it and say how in a years time I'd come to regret selling the Subaru. Also got ridiculed by 2 sales assitance at an autostore for my choice of car :censored:

Overall, really happy with the car so far and thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hi.
You will grow to love the car. I guess the 250 needs to make inroods even into the outbacks!
I agree the stereo needs to be better, but the car speaks for itself..........
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
247 Posts
The attention from other motorists can be quite annoying. Almost on a daily basis I have someone revving at me/purposely accelerating passed. I blame it on the alloys and I suppose the fact that I look late teens/early twenties, although quite older, gives a "boy racer" image.
Only had my car two days I've come across this as well. 2 people taking risks (i.e. lane swapping, late breaking etc) just to show off/get past me.

Good review. Glad you're enjoying it :)

·
Events Co-ordinator
1,347 Posts
Had mine nearly 2 years and still love it regards to the speedo it was the early ones and Renault altered them after the complaints

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Only one or two people have tried to race me. This is why I originally opted for the 250 over the focus RS because I'd come from a vxr corsa and every time soon as I left home be it night time or day, corsa b/c fan boys would try bait me from the off and because I was young(er) back then I had to bite back and put my foot down. Just annoyed me, so was a welcomed change when I moved cars as I don't have the stress of someone trying to bait me in the 250. However I like to think i've matured some what and don't feel pressured to drive quickly just to prove a point. So the 250 has helped me in that way really. I think the speedo is terrible though even after a year and a bit of ownership I still have to take second glance and look at it longer and when I want to wear my sunglasses I have to strain my eyes to see it :(

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't find the car draws too much attention.

I've only had one person try to "race" me, and that was a kid in a Fiesta ST when I passed him on a dual carriageway, he then passed me and waited in front.

Having previously owned a Fiesta ST, I just took amusement in the fact that there would be no way he could keep up, and I'm quite glad to stick to the speed limit :).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Only one or two people have tried to race me. This is why I originally opted for the 250 over the focus RS because I'd come from a vxr corsa and every time soon as I left home be it night time or day, corsa b/c fan boys would try bait me from the off and because I was young(er) back then I had to bite back and put my foot down. Just annoyed me, so was a welcomed change when I moved cars as I don't have the stress of someone trying to bait me in the 250. However I like to think i've matured some what and don't feel pressured to drive quickly just to prove a point. So the 250 has helped me in that way really. I think the speedo is terrible though even after a year and a bit of ownership I still have to take second glance and look at it longer and when I want to wear my sunglasses I have to strain my eyes to see it :(
People in corsa sized cars tend to get treated like **** on the road anyway, generally by middle aged blokes driving A4s or 5 series. I can only imagine the situation is exacerbated if it's corsa sized and a hot hatch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't find the car draws too much attention.

I've only had one person try to "race" me, and that was a kid in a Fiesta ST when I passed him on a dual carriageway, he then passed me and waited in front.

Having previously owned a Fiesta ST, I just took amusement in the fact that there would be no way he could keep up, and I'm quite glad to stick to the speed limit :).
I had one guy in a Corsa try to "race" me yesterday - wasn't even a VXR. Undercut me on a slip road onto a dual carriage way and almost took the front end of my car off (there was plenty of room for him to get in behind and there were very few cars about - he clogged it to do it deliberately) then sped off into the distance. Round the next bend he's in the outside lane through a speed camera. I had pulled out to overtake someone in the inside lane, went through the speed camera, waited patiently for him to get his foot down but he didn't. He pulled in, I put my foot down to go past. I couldn't really tell if he tried to keep up or not - he just vanished into the background ;) A couple of miles later i was coming off on a slip round with a very sharp left hander so had slowed right down, and finally saw him go past on the main carriage way. Then a few miles after that I'm approaching home doing the speed limit on a 30 through a built up area - just a normal single lane each way main road, loads of parked cars on either side - and i see someone racing up behind me at at least 60. Same guy! He pulls out and overtakes me. Bit further up the road there's a set of lights where the one lane has split into two, both straight on. Lights are on red, and he's stopped jackknifed across both lanes lol.

·
Registered
964 Posts
In our white RS it gets a few looks, as for eejits trying to tempt you into a race I've had a couple but just let them rip off in front. It does seem to be fiesta / corsa size that do it though, strange hey?
I get the look and a 'no' from the wife if I get the urge to show the eejits how quick the RS actually is, oh, and i'm 44 so really I should know better I guess.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In our white RS it gets a few looks, as for eejits trying to tempt you into a race I've had a couple but just let them rip off in front. It does seem to be fiesta / corsa size that do it though, strange hey?
I get the look and a 'no' from the wife if I get the urge to show the eejits how quick the RS actually is, oh, and i'm 44 so really I should know better I guess.
I think there comes a time in every blokes life when he realises he will never know better :D I think it probably is an age thing though. Most of the people driving hot corsas/fiestas are (probably) younger blokes. It's also probably the first relatively fast car they've driven, and as a result, they can't imagine anything in the universe being faster than it.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I get very little attention in the meg which is nice as its horrible when people constantly drive like they're in your boot or cut you up Ect. When someone is in the car with me though I never drive fast. I'm 20 now and like to think I've matured but sometimes Like the other day a range rover sport was having my life so I had to teach him a lesson lmao all within speed limits though ;) probs thought cause I was a young girl I wouldn't be able to keep up haha

·
Registered
337 Posts
I smoke the lot of them hahahah and even more so every Astra/Corsa VXR Golf GTI's Audi 3 series and even a mondeo st get me up there arse & love it when they put there foot down, look in the mirror then move over and take the kill, cant wait for the remap and scorpion exhaust and show that fors focus rs how its done, I live in Manchester so plenty of fish in the sea,

·
Registered
247 Posts
20? Thought I was young owning a Megane 250 at 24! :laughing2:

I just let most people go past. Can't be assed racing with people.

Lots of people liking the Megane 250 at work. Working at a car leasing company, we have a fair few car fanatics and lots have said how great the car is :biggthumpup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I get very little attention in the meg which is nice as its horrible when people constantly drive like they're in your boot or cut you up Ect. When someone is in the car with me though I never drive fast. I'm 20 now and like to think I've matured but sometimes Like the other day a range rover sport was having my life so I had to teach him a lesson lmao all within speed limits though ;) probs thought cause I was a young girl I wouldn't be able to keep up haha
20?! Your insurance must be interesting! I'm the same. I hate seeing a passenger have to cling on to the seats for dear life haha. Usually people trying to race you fall into two categories: aggressive ******s who take it all far too seriously, and people just wanting to see what your car/their car can do. I'd much rather come across the latter!

I smoke the lot of them hahahah and even more so every Astra/Corsa VXR Golf GTI's Audi 3 series and even a mondeo st get me up there arse & love it when they put there foot down, look in the mirror then move over and take the kill, cant wait for the remap and scorpion exhaust and show that fors focus rs how its done, I live in Manchester so plenty of fish in the sea,
Guy in a GTI ran a red light to run away from a straight drag race with me once hahaha! He'd already been alongside me in traffic at an earlier set of lights and his passenger was literally hanging out of the window staring at the car. Came up to the next set of lights quite slowly just as they changed to red, and he dashed through :D

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
20? Thought I was young owning a Megane 250 at 24! :laughing2:

I just let most people go past. Can't be assed racing with people.

Lots of people liking the Megane 250 at work. Working at a car leasing company, we have a fair few car fanatics and lots have said how great the car is :biggthumpup:
I'm 21 in April haha! Although I look 16 or something I've got a proper baby face lol :( someone actually questioned me when I got out the car in tesco they were like how can you get insured on that you look no older than 17 I was like im 20 lmao. I've had a few people look when im parked in car parks or when I've driven passed. Nothing major though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm 21 in April haha! Although I look 16 or something I've got a proper baby face lol :( someone actually questioned me when I got out the car in tesco they were like how can you get insured on that you look no older than 17 I was like im 20 lmao. I've had a few people look when im parked in car parks or when I've driven passed. Nothing major though.
When I was 20 I had a bronze Nissan Bluebird!! I bet you've never heard of one of those plunder? You must be minted to own a RS250 and even more minted to actually insure it at your age lol :)

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
When I was 20 I had a bronze Nissan Bluebird!! I bet you've never heard of one of those plunder? You must be minted to own a RS250 and even more minted to actually insure it at your age lol :)
Nah not minted I would have an Audi or something if that were the case :(

Can't view the image you posted but I did a quick search on google and found a pic. Bluebird looks like a right pimp mobeele hahha!! Bet you pulled one of or two lasses in that :) retro cool haha

·
Registered
132 Posts
Random_tangent my insurance is 1,600 with mods declared which I thought was pretty decent tbh :)
That is pretty decent! My brother is in his mid 20s and pays 1300 on a 197 clio sport. I was actually pretty surprised at how low the quotes i got for the megane were. Eventually it ended up costing me £650 with legal cover, and I'm 29. No mods as yet though. Considering a scorpion exhaust first for the noise. Not planning on tracking it any time soon as it's an every day car for me, so don't feel the need for a remap just yet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That is pretty decent! My brother is in his mid 20s and pays 1300 on a 197 clio sport. I was actually pretty surprised at how low the quotes i got for the megane were. Eventually it ended up costing me £650 with legal cover, and I'm 29. No mods as yet though. Considering a scorpion exhaust first for the noise. Not planning on tracking it any time soon as it's an every day car for me, so don't feel the need for a remap just yet.
I'm 44, add the better half at 45 and ours was £350 with Aviva which was an absolute bargain, it was £400 on the Reno 4wd Koleos we had and about the same on the Laguna Initiale b4 that. Not sure why the RS is lower but we're not complaining!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts