Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was serviced yesterday and they said it needs new brake discs and pads in next 5k... they want £500 for the front and £450 for the back... INSANE.

I'm going to get the parts and get them done myself.
Question is where is the best place to get them and what is the best ones to get?? Are the originals made by brembo or renault or what?
Is it recommended to get the drilled ones or do they not make much difference or is it worth upgrading them ...?

Some advice would be much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother with the brembo cross drilled ones. They are prone to cracking (mine did, and were replaced under warranty). Brembo HC's is the cheapest route and meant to be as good as OE (OE disc are brembo as are the pads).

Fit the ones with the flashy black finishing from K-tec if you fancy it, the coating will rub off on the face quickly in use so they won't stay black for long. But the rest of the disc should still be protected under the finish and rust proofed. I would go for these on my car but mostly because I hate rusty bits on the discs...

Parts available from K-tec http://www.k-tecracing.com/search.asp?appid=12&catid=1
Or Worldsaparts http://www.worldofpartsltd.co.uk/catalog/index.php/brakes-c-26

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Why do the discs need changing? You do know that this is often the standard issue response from a dealer when merely pads are required? Check the discs yourself or get s second opinion if you don't know how. Discs are about £100 a pair and pads can be had for as little as £40. Pads are dead easy to do but if you buy em most kwik fit or any decent tyre and exhaust garages will fit em for you for s few quid.
OEM pads are ferrodo. If you want a simple but effective upgrade pad try a DS2500. Not a very aggressive pad and can be had for about £100 an each end.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just had exact same issue. I got my brembo high carbon disc's from next day brakes £69 deliver they didn't come next day thou lol. As for pads price varies a lot depending on wat u want

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Car was serviced yesterday and they said it needs new brake discs and pads in next 5k... they want £500 for the front and £450 for the back... INSANE.

I'm going to get the parts and get them done myself.
Question is where is the best place to get them and what is the best ones to get?? Are the originals made by brembo or renault or what?
Is it recommended to get the drilled ones or do they not make much difference or is it worth upgrading them ...?

Some advice would be much appreciated!!!
I'll do you a deal if you want everything.....but I doubt you will, if this info was from a dealer and one of their check sheets they do tend to be hyper critical.

give me a shout if you need any further help / info

www.worldsaparts.co.uk

[email protected]

Rich

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do you a deal if you want everything.....but I doubt you will, if this info was from a dealer and one of their check sheets they do tend to be hyper critical.

give me a shout if you need any further help / info

www.worldsaparts.co.uk

[email protected]

Rich

Ok brilliant thanks for that Rich I will let you know as they said they need doing in next couple thousand miles , the car is on 57k and I doubt it has had new discs before so I wouldn't be too surprised if they do need replacing. I will get a second opinion though from a mechanic I know too see what they think. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes pretty sure they are the same for the r26 although they do have the drilled discs, but same size etc.

Anyone know best place to get a deal on front and back discs and pads as I am in need now and have emailed Rich although no reply as yet :(.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is just a list of part which i have save for when i need to buy them. They are not all OEM but from what iv read from the forums the ones that are not OEM are actually better than OEM. You can get Rear Mintex pads of the same compound for around£20 but i have not found a link for the correct fitment yet so iv had to just keep OEM on file. As for the rear discs, of you have a R26 fitment then it looks like drilled is ur only option really because of the 30mm bearing on the hub. If you have a Cup model fitment then you have the option to go for the solid disc (20mm bearing) to stop the cracking, as you have a 175 DCI im not sure which applies.

Front uprated-ish pads: MINTEX M1144 BRAKE PADS MINTEX CTECH PERFORMANCE PADS
Front discs: Brembo HC solid discs
Rear Disc (30mm R26): Rear OEM disc
Rear disc (Solid 20mm Cup): Solid Rear disc
Rear disc (Drilled 20mm Cup): OEM drilled discs for Cup models
Rear pads: OEM Rear pads

And you might need a set of these : Genuine Brmbo caliper pins
OR speak to Mr Pink about his modified ones : Mr Pinks custom -non seize- design

And one of these to rewind the rear piston: Right hand caliper piston rewind tool

Hope this helps buddy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also emailed rich need a deal asap, does any one no if the brake pads fit from next day brakes on the r26? if so front disks and pads £105.93 delivered.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I did this, very good road set up and cheap too.

This is just a list of part which i have save for when i need to buy them. They are not all OEM but from what iv read from the forums the ones that are not OEM are actually better than OEM. You can get Rear Mintex pads of the same compound for around£20 but i have not found a link for the correct fitment yet so iv had to just keep OEM on file. As for the rear discs, of you have a R26 fitment then it looks like drilled is ur only option really because of the 30mm bearing on the hub. If you have a Cup model fitment then you have the option to go for the solid disc (20mm bearing) to stop the cracking, as you have a 175 DCI im not sure which applies.

Front discs: Brembo HC solid discs
Rear Disc (30mm R26): Rear OEM disc
Rear disc (Solid 20mm Cup): Solid Rear disc
Rear disc (Drilled 20mm Cup): OEM drilled discs for Cup models
Rear pads: OEM Rear pads

And you might need a set of these : Genuine Brmbo caliper pins
OR speak to Mr Pink about his modified ones : Mr Pinks custom -non seize- design

And one of these to rewind the rear piston: Right hand caliper piston rewind tool

Hope this helps buddy!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah replacing brakes is an expensive hobby :(! I am pretty sure that the discs and pads on a dci 175 are the same as the petrol version. Has anyone heard from Rich as yet??
Also are the caliper pins a must ??

Cheers

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I know the front discs and pads are the same as the petrol version as i have fitted the drilled discs,pads and brembo callipers from an R26 to my dci.. Not sure on the rears due to bearing sizes but would be nice to know as mine need changing soon.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ah replacing brakes is an expensive hobby :(! I am pretty sure that the discs and pads on a dci 175 are the same as the petrol version. Has anyone heard from Rich as yet??
Also are the caliper pins a must ??

Cheers
The front discs should be the same the same but the rears im not sure which ull need, Rich is ur man for that. As for the caliper pins.... its not a MUST but alot of the boys on here have massive trouble with them as they have seized up. When i go to change mine ill be giving Mr Pink a pm for some of his just incase. You dont want to be left up S**t creek if u bend on and one is seized (cutting required).

·
Premium Member
122 Posts

are these the correct pads for r26 230 f1? about to order them see.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Why do people go down the solid disc road???are the drilled and grooved no good??only ask as i seen a set on ebay for £99(drillled/grooved,highcarbon brembo).
please some one tell me whats best to go with.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Drilled and grooved are a waste with less disk surface area in contact with the pad. The drilled OEM disks tend to crack around the holes so KTR have a dimpled version to retain the OE look but counteract the problem. Or you could always go grooved but I havn't seen any decent grooved rear disks to match.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
What about the next day brakes post made earlier? I'm looking at that deal too. Need new front pads
I bought these, twice. Godo service and VERY cheap. The brembo high carbons are the way to go, now replacing the rears to match as they are currently drilled R26 standard discs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts