Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a noise from my Quaife diff, the noise is only apparent when I'm off the throttle and seems to become louder when going fast through second gear corners, as if it maybe gets louder when hotter.

Its not a really bad sound and the car feels fine, it sounds sort of like the noise a straight cut gearbox makes off throttle only faint.

I had a tech look at it tonight and he thinks its caused by the pinion and crown wheel clearance, its a common indicating sound that they have not been set properly on installation or in my case has been unsettled when I had a hard impact with a curb.

Have heard from another member who has a similar noise and im wondering if anyone else has experienced any probmems with their Quaife LSD?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Keen to hear from anyone with one fitted.

I am told it is O.K as is, I have a three day 300+KM of Stage distance plus another 400km touring Rally in less than four weeks so was a bit worried!

Have flushed and re filled the gearbox with new ELF oil for a piece of mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
They're pretty simple and bomb proof - I'd be surprised if its damaged and still working. I'm wondering if the impact has damaged the inner end of the drive shaft?

I have seen them strip on drag cars running stupid horsepower >700BHP running slicks. If it has gone, try something like a Wavetrac - they're immense. Does anyone make a plated one for rally car?

Seano

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Seano, I hope it is the drive shaft, would be much easier to replace if need be.

The diff works well in a Tarmac Rally application, it has fantastic grip.

Hi apex , what power are you running and have you forged it, glad to see you use it properly mate

Steve
Engine is stock other than a stage 1 generic remap, I have fitted a turbo back free flowing exhaust, have opened up the intake and removed the battery from the front and have fitted a large Intercooler.

To win a rally you must finish a rally, I am happy enough with its performance at the moment, we are only allowed to do a GPS monitored 200kph and the roads we drive down make the Nurburgring look like the Indianapolis oval, some are as wide as a drive way with undulations and crests that have the car airborne at less than 60mph!

In my dreams I would like to forge the engine and fit a hybrid Turbo, 300+ BHP would be very nice but it costs enough just to maintain the car and enter these big rally's as it is.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts