Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I don't have the RS Monitor in my car and was wondering if Scanguage II will report oil temp for me? I know it also has something called xguage which allows you to program your own car-specific gauges in if you know how to request the info from the ECU and read the response. Do you have to do this to get oil temp in the RS250? If so, does anyone know how to program it accordingly?

Many thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unsure what you can get from the megane, but doubt you'll get oil temp. More likely water temp and inlet air temps.
Cheers mate. Was hoping there was an oil temp sender there since the RS Monitor reports oil temp, but perhaps that's not the case unless you have the RS monitor fitted.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
have a search around mate there is a plate you can fit between oil filter and engine that you can use with the scan gauge not sure if it works with the 250 though?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It's called a sandwich plate and you can fit it to any vehicle if there's enough space. I don't think you'd get it to talk to the scanguage though. You would have to mount a gauge in the car somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
It's called a sandwich plate and you can fit it to any vehicle if there's enough space. I don't think you'd get it to talk to the scanguage though. You would have to mount a gauge in the car somewhere.
that's the one. knew id heard of something.

·
Registered
669 Posts
im pretty sure the onboard OBDII has oil temp somewhere as the RS Monitor reading has to come from somewhere. never used scangauge before but if the oil temp is in there, scangauge shd be able to read it.

at any rate, i dont think u have to worry too much about oil temp especially in UK weather. at the race track on maximum hoon in tropical weather, the oil temps only reached about 109degC with the stock intercooler. this changes rapidly if u have a large intercooler (read: Forge) blocking the airflow to the radiator. ive seen 124degC oil temps at the track with the Force i/c installed.

redd

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im pretty sure the onboard OBDII has oil temp somewhere as the RS Monitor reading has to come from somewhere. never used scangauge before but if the oil temp is in there, scangauge shd be able to read it.

at any rate, i dont think u have to worry too much about oil temp especially in UK weather. at the race track on maximum hoon in tropical weather, the oil temps only reached about 109degC with the stock intercooler. this changes rapidly if u have a large intercooler (read: Forge) blocking the airflow to the radiator. ive seen 124degC oil temps at the track with the Force i/c installed.

redd
This was my thinking. The scangauge has something called x-gauge which allows you to program your own gauges in if you know how to request the info from the ECU and how the read the response.

And tbh, the main reason i'd like to be able to read the oil temp is more to check when it's up to temp rather than when it's too hot. I do a lot of short journeys and am consequently very gentle with the car most of the time - usually changing up at 2,500 revs and not accelerating hard. I'd just like some feeling for when it's warm enough to rag etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts