Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what peoples opinions of open air subs are??? Or if anyone has had experience with them and if they sound any good.

Was thinking a false floor, with a 12" sub hanging over the wheel well would looks cool but don't want it to sound poo!

Any suggestions, i don't really just want to just chuck a sub box in the boot. :?

G

·
Alex_172 said:
Just wondered what peoples opinions of open air subs are??? Or if anyone has had experience with them and if they sound any good.

Was thinking a false floor, with a 12" sub hanging over the wheel well would looks cool but don't want it to sound poo!

Any suggestions, i don't really just want to just chuck a sub box in the boot. :?
Hi Alex...Ive been toying with the idea for a while...

The key word is compromise... Open air subs are never gonna sound as good as a properly made (to spec) box... but sometimes (for some) the compromise of having a box in the boot is just too much...

A. You could go down Andy's road.... and place the sub and amp in the spare wheel well. I dont know exactly how has andy done it... but I would make sure you cut out the cardboard underneath the factory boot carpet, so the sub fires through the carpet and not against the carboard. If you dont want to place your sub in the spare-wheel well, I would definitely consider Pioneer's TS-SW124D. Its a sub specially designed for shallow applications (only 82mm mounting depth for a 10" sub!)

B. The second option is the less intrusive but wont give you earth shattering bass, and its the one I have been considering. Kenwood sells a set of amplified rear parcel shelf mountable 6x9 subs (KFC-WDA96RC). They come with their own Class D amp and are specifically designed for free air set ups

Hope this helped.

Alonso

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate, some good info there!!

The idea Andy had was really good, I'd probably make a new floor rather than chop up the standard carpet. MDF cut to the same shape, carpet that but cut a hole through for the sound to come out of the wheel well.

I've been looking at Vibe active subs, if I have to have a sub box I quite fancy on of those. Amp built in, nice black enclosure with silver ports!! :D

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
If you go down the vibe box route, i would say they are one of the best in the world, the bass you get from them is awesome for the size sub.

Easy to install and can be removed within a minute if you need to get something in there a bit big.

Mounting under the floor is good because you don't lose your boot space, but for the money vibe is the way to go! :)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it looks like the Vibe route is a very tempting one!!

Looking on Ebay etc and they do a Vibe active 12" sub for about £230 :D

Have heard they sound awesom. That then leaves my 1200w 4 channel amp to run two 6x9s and then have two spare channels for anything else I setting up!

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I've got a 10" sub in my punto at the mo, and that has awesome bass.

Worth every penny!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts