Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a quick video of my trip around oulton park this afternoon excuse the auto focussing its was on my phone and I think it was trying to focus on my wipers. was a really good day and the weather was reasonably kind to us. any comments or feedback appreciated as I'm relatively new to all this trackday malarkey :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8b1UYcPYKQ

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Nice fella. Did you enjoy it?

Some really good lines just with a few apexes not ideal.

I bet you were working yourself up on pace because you can see you were powering to some of the apexes from turn in. ie not quite nailing the ideal entry speed.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice fella. Did you enjoy it?

Some really good lines just with a few apexes not ideal.

I bet you were working yourself up on pace because you can see you were powering to some of the apexes from turn in. ie not quite nailing the ideal entry speed.
Thanks mate I always enjoy going there I think it's a fantastic place that will constantly challenge me without ever getting bored :)

As for missing apexs and entry speeds I am 100% sure that it is just a confidence thing. I have sat as a passenger for hundreds of laps round there with a very good driver and drove quite a few too and every time I have instruction it's the same corners I'm picked up on (normally the tightest sections of track) and in my head I know I should be in a different position/speed. I can only think I will improve as I do more and realize that if I do hit the apex at the right speed I won't fall off the end of the earth :). But as you quite rightly mention I do seem to accelerate to compensate for entry speed when I know I wasn't going fast enough in the first place.

Maybe it's just my cautious approach with it being my daily car and track toy all rolled into one?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks mate I always enjoy going there I think it's a fantastic place that will constantly challenge me without ever getting bored :)

As for missing apexs and entry speeds I am 100% sure that it is just a confidence thing. I have sat as a passenger for hundreds of laps round there with a very good driver and drove quite a few too and every time I have instruction it's the same corners I'm picked up on (normally the tightest sections of track) and in my head I know I should be in a different position/speed. I can only think I will improve as I do more and realize that if I do hit the apex at the right speed I won't fall off the end of the earth :). But as you quite rightly mention I do seem to accelerate to compensate for entry speed when I know I wasn't going fast enough in the first place.

Maybe it's just my cautious approach with it being my daily car and track toy all rolled into one?
My problem too, id cry if it went wrong, jst that bit in your mind says slow down.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I think that's what it is but I know it's wrong and that I would be ok doing it as I know right.
Spot on. It’s not critical racing stuff after all and like you say it is your pride and joy you are punting around.

You know what though, there is a huge difference between someone running a bit of analysis and knowing where they can go a bit faster than someone that hasn’t got a clue. You can actually see and appreciate where you can pick up a bit of time....... and that is the real business.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
Well done mate it looked like you were having fun and that's what it's all about, nice to see someone on here actually doing track days instead of talking about it. Well done again mate And hopefully see you at donington sometime , get the 11th of march booked, £125 through focused events

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spot on. It’s not critical racing stuff after all and like you say it is your pride and joy you are punting around.

You know what though, there is a huge difference between someone running a bit of analysis and knowing where they can go a bit faster than someone that hasn’t got a clue. You can actually see and appreciate where you can pick up a bit of time....... and that is the real business.
hence the reason I posted the video (my missus just tells me I'm going to fast) I want a bit if advise on what you guys think I could do. in my head I could drive a perfect lap I just haven't got the skill/bottle lol.
All I can do is try :)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Well done mate it looked like you were having fun and that's what it's all about, nice to see someone on here actually doing track days instead of talking about it. Well done again mate And hopefully see you at donington sometime , get the 11th of march booked, £125 through focused events
Is that comment aimed at me?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like I said I always have fun there :). I won't be doing donnington just yet mate may be doing Cadwell next month though.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
hence the reason I posted the video (my missus just tells me I'm going to fast) I want a bit if advise on what you guys think I could do. in my head I could drive a perfect lap I just haven't got the skill/bottle lol.
All I can do is try :)
Nobody drives the perfect lap.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not quite Salty....... You did great, know where you could do better ....... and can improve next time if you want to.
I know what you mean it's just difficult to just have faith in yourself and the car and put it in positions that feel un natural. I guess that's what makes a racing driver though.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice one. Hope you had a fab day. Was still thinking of booking this one upto 10pm last night. Looks like there's been a few off's with the muddy grass?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I know what you mean it's just difficult to just have faith in yourself and the car and put it in positions that feel un natural. I guess that's what makes a racing driver though.
You already know that though.... and to get that extra pace you just need to be slipping around on the edge a bit more. Less margin for error though.

What you can do is push it a bit more where the circuit is more forgiving if you overcook it and then keep it at 80% where it can bite your arse.

You know, a bit later on the brakes down into Knickerbrook, because if you outbrake yourself you just run safely straight on, a bit more speed through Cascades as there is plenty of safe exit run off etc. Confidence building.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You already know that though.... and to get that extra pace you just need to be slipping around on the edge a bit more. Less margin for error though.

What you can do is push it a bit more where the circuit is more forgiving if you overcook it and then keep it at 80% where it can bite your arse.

You know, a bit later on the brakes down into Knickerbrook, because if you outbrake yourself you just run safely straight on, a bit more speed through Cascades as there is plenty of safe exit run off etc. Confidence building.
totally agree. the reason for the tame braking was on two occasions today I suffered quite bad brake fade coming in to knickebrook on two occasions. as you know oulton is no the most forgiving of places if the sh1t is to hit the fan so yes you probably right to try and take the risks in more calculated areas.

just as a side topic for a second. would you normally expect to suffer brake fade on the approach to knickebrook bearing in mind that was probably towards the end of my 15-20min outing and braking from around 110-50ish. pads in question are cl5+. the brakes were fine after going in to Druids go your info too?

I think Im just going to have to continue to drive the circuit like you say and build confidence in certain areas.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
totally agree. the reason for the tame braking was on two occasions today I suffered quite bad brake fade coming in to knickebrook on two occasions. as you know oulton is no the most forgiving of places if the sh1t is to hit the fan so yes you probably right to try and take the risks in more calculated areas.

just as a side topic for a second. would you normally expect to suffer brake fade on the approach to knickebrook bearing in mind that was probably towards the end of my 15-20min outing and braking from around 110-50ish. pads in question are cl5+. the brakes were fine after going in to Druids go your info too?

I think Im just going to have to continue to drive the circuit like you say and build confidence in certain areas.
Pad fade or fluid fade? Was it as a soft pedal ie going down to the bulkhead or a rock hard pedal and just no real retardation?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts