Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Folks

Ok please lend me your brains!!
Strange one this..... On random occasions, when I get in to start the Meg, I put my foot on the brake, press the button the car just dies like someone has taken the battery out, no interior lights, nothing. I get out the car, press a button on the key card but again nothing happens, after a little while maybe a min, the car comes alive again, I get in to start the car again and it starts fine, sometimes it will do it twice before it actually starts, and sometimes it doesn’t do it at all. Maybe it happens once in 6 starts.

I’m wondering if it’s a faulty immobiliser ? or something a little more simple than that ?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Do you have a spare key to try... If you dont you should get one... The problems getting the car to a garage and the wait for another key is bad... lol.. (The initial outlay of £200ish is cheap compared to getting the car uplifted and the hassle of waiting over a week for a new 1.)

Kojak

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Ive got another key that gets used as much as my key as the missus and I alternate cars week by week, it did the same with that one to.

possibly bad earthing. Thats what springs to my mind.
Bad Earthing... could well be? I did have to take the battery out just before christmas to fit a standard filter on it, im almost sure that it went back as it came out though, I took photos of the connections to make sure I put them back correctly. Is there anything else I should check with regards to the earthing ? I had a link arm replaced a few weeks ago and a Recirc blanking plate. not sure they would be related....

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
Lol is it in handsfree when you do it or card on slot?
Also any messages on dash

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lol is it in handsfree when you do it or card on slot?
Also any messages on dash
Hands free each time
No messages on the dash at all, no life in the car at all when it goes off so no messages. When it eventualy gets life in it again (on its own accord) its just the standard screen with my Mileage on.

I just drove to halfords to price batteries up, it started perfectly both going and coming back... Ive also just replaced the key battery, im not sure it was down to that anyway.
I read all recent posts regarding anything like this but it seems this is slightly different. It could be down to battery....
Or Earthing ?..... but wouldnt it do it all the time then ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
i had this few weeks ago, then one day was driving and it said "low battery, stop" so i thought the obveous..cold weather killed the battery. Parked up and the next day wanted to pop to halfords to get a battery and it wouldnt start. Wouldnt even try and turn over was totally dead, even with a new battery!

Got it towed to renault and it turns out it was a bad earth in the engine wiring loom and the whole lot needed to be replaced..£650!! :(

Phoned renault UK and spoke to a lovely chap called harvinder who was a service manager and he sorted them to pay £500 of it..result! Nice chap, couldnt do enough for me! Although mines 57 plate and only 30k miles and he said he didnt expect it to be going on a car with that low milage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kris.... That sounds bad..... very bad!! Ive not had any Low Battery ...Stop messages... Yet

Ive got my fingers crossed hoping its somthing different. The negative terminal on the battery was ever so slightly loose, so I tightened it tonight. Checked the output on the battery, its putting out 12v when engine off and 14v when its on meaning the altanator is working fine. Im going to measure it tomorrow morning to see what its like before I even try to turn it over....

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was thinking starter motor or alternator or something...didnt think the loom would have corroded on it with it being 4 years old/30k miles. But if you look at the amount of window reg's/looms being replaced by renault currently..its obveous they just aint upto the job. When she told me £650 my heart sank, they paid for my £100 battery as i bought that because the car said it was low, when infact i didnt really need one as it didnt work with a new battery either! They also paid £500 of the repair so i got a new battery and £650 of loom/fitting for £150. They also paid for a hire car over xmas/new year :)

Hope you sort it out with a cheap fix Will!! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you start it on clutch or brake ? Does it say start in dash
Shes behaved for the last 2 days, and yes it does say start on the dash before it dies. Ive started using the clutch to start it rather than the brake. Im hoping it was the loose positive connection that was giving the bad earth.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
now is a postive connection a loose earth?
could be i have known my car to do strange things when it happened to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts