Megane Sport Forum banner

Pulsar GTi-R's.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  steven878 
#1 ·
What are they like? I've always liked the look of them and the pace seems awsome, even more so considering the price. Just had a quick look on PH and seems there about £3-4k! Found a forged engine one with plenty of other mods, 8pot brakes etc aking about 4k. Seems a steal when you consider the performance. What are they like in da twisteeeez and higher speeds?

See less See more
#2 ·
Fabulous cars, love em to bits.

My best mate had one for many years until recently.

When I had my fq400 we used to go out and play loads. His ran around 320/350 and boy oh boy do they get off the line quick. He'd always get away in the first couple of gears, lost out in the higher gear.

Handling isnt great though tbh, twitchy to say the least when you push on. Hard to describe really, not so much understeer as you'd get in a subaru, more a lack of overall balance. Have to drive one to see what I mean. Can be improved though.

Engine on his was bulletproof, gearbox wasnt, he always had a spare, but rebuilds/parts weren't particularly expensive.

Brakes are ok.

I really, really fancy one as a project car, been looking myself, upgrades are so much cheaper than evos/scoobs and IMO theyve aged much better.

#5 ·
You just have to be careful with the engine stuff as they like to blow. I've heard rumours that you cant push past 350 horses on the standard top mount intercooler too. A mate of mine has his running around the 500hp mark and as mentioned they are monsters off the line but very very twitchy and deserve a lot of respect when pushing the limits.

#7 ·
Sraight line they seem nippy but looking about they fall short on track times. Despite getting to 60 a second quicker than the meg they get to 100 slower allthough not by all that much. GTi-R does Hock short in around 4 more seconds than the meg takes. Not what you'd expect especially having an extra 20bhp/ton. I still think they'd be fun but as you say B, Seems things have moved on along way in 21 years.

#8 ·
My pulsar is around 300bhp with the usual fmic kit, blitz cone filter, forge dump valve, 3" exhaust system, iridium sparks, walbro fuel pump, magnecor 8.5mm ht leads and
Sat time I weighed it with me in the car and a full tank of fuel, it weighed 1220kg.

Last time I drove it, it felt faster than my megane and has that old Skool turbo feel, where you nothing.......then everything!!

Suspension and brakes on pulsars are shocking as standard, once you add wilwood 4 pot calipers, bigger discs, uprated pads, uprated fluid, a few strut braces, whiteline anti lift kit, rose jointed track rods, whiteline shocks and springs, you normally find the car is alot more responsive round the twisties.

#9 ·
Its amazing we were just talking about these because this evening I was at Toxic Rides and got a demo in a 480bhp (+ nos) c/w drenth (think that's how he pronounced it) gearbox GTiR.

Crickie mosses - its insane. Has apparantly run a 10.6 quarter. Used the 100bhp shot of gas for that. Now i dont really know much about drag racing but i'm lead to believe that's only half a second down on a Veyron!!

#11 ·
Veyron is 10.8 @ 140mph from a quick google, don't know If that's put out by Bugati though and the veyron isn't even in it's stride at these speeds.

1/4 isn't my thing but yeah, they certanly accelerate well! Shame they don't seem to handle as good. What was your car like on the strip Steven?

#12 ·
I never put mine on the strip mate as they are bad for destroying gearbox bell housings when launched hard and have more than standard power!!

Mine handles well with all the suspension mods, but if the roads are wet you can quiet easily presuade the car to go into a 4 wheel powerslide, with a flick of the steering and a sharp press of the loud pedal!

should hopefully go through some weight saving measures this year for track use ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.