Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had such a powerful FWD car before and am still getting used to its behaviour. I am totally fine with it during regular road use on the commute to work, but I've found it to be quite twitchy under increased acceleration from a standing or slow rolling start, I'm not expecting it to be a saint and track straight and true, but does anyone else find it to be a bit tricky to handle when ringing its neck?

Or is it just me? :yumyum: as a relatively inexperienced driver?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Must say I have been in few cars (and no FWD's) that handel as well.

What you are feeling is known as torque stear. Its well reduced due to the LSD. All you need to do is keep a good grip of the wheel.

If your inexperianced, go to a local track and get some lessons, so you can get the best out of the car.

Once you get to know the car (with decent tyres) it will feel, or at least should feel that it is on rails.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
What you are feeling is known as torque steer. Its well reduced due to the LSD.
Not quite, the diff makes things worse as it directs more power to the wheel with more grip. A clever suspension set up reduces the effect as much as possible by reducing the kingpin offset (renault call it independent steering axis and ford call their version revoknuckle).

Decent tyres make a big difference though, I drove an R26 when i was looking at buying with nangkangs or something similarly crap on the front (fitted by the renault dealer no doubt to save cost) and it was a million times worse than other cars with decent michelin / continental rubber.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've never believed the hype of paying silly amounts of money for tyres but mine came with toyo proxie tr1s on and now I wouldn't get anything with less quality. The grip is phenomenal

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
bit off topic, but with regards to the above post, I have mich ps2 on my car and my missus car has the toyo tr1s on and they are a great tyre, certainly no worse than the michelins just much cheaper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.