Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a lovely 1k mile ownership of driving heaven, the time has come to put the R into hibernation. the winter weather is finally arriving and the toyos are beginning to become a bit overwhelmed by north yorkshires farmer lanes and mud/leaf smeared roads.

so the question i now ask is, as the car is going into storage and wont be back on road untill spring, is it possible to get storage insurance against theft and also, can i claim some road tax back? or suspend the current tax untill re-activation?

any help would be great :)

thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah if you declare it sorn then you can get the tax, and you will only be able to get the off road insurance if it's in a secure garage.. Prudential offer good cover but the company your with should be able to offer what you want, easiest thi g I do is phone them and have a chat!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Its good that you had some fun before the bad weather comes. If you are storing it in a proper car storage faciltiy then they should have insurance in place. If you are storing it in lets say a friends garage then I would look into insurance, perhaps mention that it wont be driven until the new year.

If it still has tax, then just send the disc back to the DVLA and they should reimburse you whats left on the disc.

Hope that helps! :eek:)

·
Registered
989 Posts
just taxed mine for another 12months :) and shes not going to bed this winter there are plenty more track days left!

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Doing my last TD on Saturday at Silverstone. New pads new fluid all ready to go. Came out of storage for the last TD of the year.

Also remember to put the toyos in storage above 1 deg C. They crack in anything less and become dangerous (as per advice flyer from toyo).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the above help chaps, just regarding the Toyota issue, it gets colder than 0 degrees here up north during winter so following on from the above advice I've looked into getting a set of axle stands... Anyone have any other ideas/ no any issues that can occur with storing a car on axle stands for long periods? Ie. 3-4 monthS..? My garage is not heated and this is the first solution I thought of..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are the toyos really that liable to be damaged during cold weather? storage only, at home it gets -10 degrees for a few days each winter. Ive got axle stands for the car... just figuring how im going to sit it on four at the same time without it falling over..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
urgent help! taken wheel nuts and locking nut off wheel.... but it wont come off?? am i being stupid and missing something?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
urgent help! taken wheel nuts and locking nut off wheel.... but it wont come off?? am i being stupid and missing something?
Nope, the wheels tend to bind up on the hub mounting point over time.

You just need to slowly work them loose with a bit of persuasion.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
thanks guys but unfortunately after some hoof, the front two are still attached.. any other tips?
More umph required.

Support the car really well on axle stands, lie on the ground on your back and then get some serious wallop into the tyre at the 12 or 6 o’clock position with your boot and those powerful quadriceps. Rotate the wheel as you go.

If it makes you feel better, you can try and blast the hub to wheel mounting points with releasing fluid but you need to whip the wheel hub caps off.

There is another way but its A level, you need the kit and only to be used if you are a girl.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had same problem with mine first time getting the wheel off, one word of warning when it does go, it normally goes so be ready to catch the wheel before the floor does, I had to have a refurb due to the scratchs left after, was not a happy chap.

alex

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I had same problem with mine first time getting the wheel off, one word of warning when it does go, it normally goes so be ready to catch the wheel before the floor does, I had to have a refurb due to the scratchs left after, was not a happy chap.

alex
Valid point ....and also helped by keeping the wheel just jacked clear of the ground so when it does go it only drops a few mm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys, ended up getting a 2x4 5 1/2 foot wooden pole and spreading it under the car and repetitive pressure released the wheel. i used a loose wheel nut to prevent the wheel from falling off... kicking would not suffice..
unfortunately the wheel fell over whilst i gathered everything together, ended up running after the B**tard but it fell face down and scratched the centre.. re furb for me too. :(
oh well toyo's are at 21 degrees inside snug :)

what a carry on.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
Smack the tyre with a rubber mallet and when you put the wheels back on make sure you put a smere of copper grease on either the back of the wheel or the hub

1 - 20 of 23 Posts