Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right lads and lasses..

I've got html experience, RAW coding, css and some php.

Theres loads of jobs going by me for .net and all that crap. What else would you recommend i could try and teach myself? Misses brother is giving me some free space with Apache, MySQL, PHP, .NET and .ASP capabilities. Will these be good to goof around with?

Does anyone know any good tutorial sites?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Rather than looking for a tutorial site, it might be better to set yourself a challenge / project and then try to write the code for it. I learn quicker this way and you get experience with something real. I tend to buy a book for the basics - dummies guide to etc and then use google for anything harder / more specific.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sounds like a good ole LAMP stack :), maybe not as it also servers .asp and .net :( . (Hey i'm a *nix geek)

Apache is just the webserver, i'd leave tinkering with that well alone. In fact if its just a bit of space you have been given your access to Apache will be limited in any case. It will just serve up whatever pages you upload.

As you say you have some .php experience, you will probably have come across mysql or similiar as its just a database. Hopefully something like phpmyadmin will already be installed on the server making database management easier. Theres a few semi-decent online tutorials out there on mysql but like ALC has said sometimes its best just to have a go. Maybe have a look at w3schools dot com or freewebmasterhelp dot com (not sure if posting links is allowed).

Personally i like the O'reilly books, very detailed, but unless its something your going to need/refer to on a regular basis maybe not worth the cost. You may find used copies cheap on ebay or amazon's marketplace.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
You've got some basic PHP, HTML and CSS... Perfecto! You're already there if you follow Eny and AlC's recommendations :)

I would strongly suggest you learn one of the JS frameworks if you want to get some really snazzy sites going... jQuery is quite a good contendor and gives you everything you need to give you some nice animations but also allows you to write AJAX which, in turn, gives you the ability to submit pages withouth refreshing!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the feedback.

I was hoping i wouldnt hear JS Framework :S lol, I found the w3schools the other day lol had a play with a few samples, just need to wait for my space now as soon as that turns up i'll be well on my way.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends what you want to get in to IMO - front end (which is what I do) or back end development.

For front end you need HTML, CSS and JS as your core skills. With JS don't learn a library, actually learn the language and then use a library to help you out for bigger things. If you have no knowledge then start with a book called DOM Scripting - it'll teach you the basics of the language and actually go some way to giving you an understanding of how the libraries work. Lots of stuff out there on the latest iterations of both and HTML and CSS so it's worth playing with that and having it degrade gracefully is older versions of IE.

Back end wise, where I work it's either .net or Java but we are having people ask for some PHP experience too. Not sure the best places to go for these as it's not what I do so have picked it up while working with the back end devs. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.

Either way you go it's worth having at least some knowledge of the other side - it makes the job much easier to do.

Also, heard good things about this site, but not used it myself: http://www.codecademy.com/

Anything else, just ask!

Jas

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Nicely written Jas. I'm going to look for that DOM Scripting book... particular author? I tend to get my solutions from Google... I use JS quite a bit now that I've moved to more AJAX sites but it would be nice to have a little bible of tools!

Thank you please!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's the DOM Scripting book website, all the info you need: http://domscripting.com/

It is very much for beginners though. If you are looking for something more advanced have a look at Bulletproof AJAX (by PPK) and Javascript: The Good Parts (by Douglas Crockford). Both very good, the second being written by the guy who is still developing the language!

Jas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts