Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section - so apologies to the mods if it has to be moved - but wanted to comment on the subject of insurance.

Basically, I'm with Direct Line for my other vehicles and they quoted me over £900 for the R26.R and to be honest i wasn't convinced they knew exactly what model the car was as they kept referring to it as an R26. Anyway i decided to try a company called Competition Car Insurance - spoke to a guy called Martin who was very informed and really helpful. The best bit was they quoted me around £600 fully comp and unlike DL i didn't have to mess around swapping my NCB from one car to another etc. The excesses are better and they were just overall more accommodating. The only issue i have with CCI is that they don't class the R26.R as a "sports car" but more obviously as a "hot hatch" and as such they will only offer me a road policy. They are happy in the knowledge that i will be using it on track etc but i won't be insured under that policy. However, i am waiting for a call from one of his colleagues that deals specifically with track insurance. I will have to take out a separate policy just for track use (excluding the Ring) and he intimated that it costs around 10% of the cars insurable value. So will wait to see what they come back with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoops wait one. Uncle Bahn will sort you.
"Uncle Bahn" LOL!! Well i would be most grateful if you can fella. I would like to try and source an insurance policy that allows me to drive the R26.R on the road occasionally (I'm happy to have a limited miles policy as the R will only be used for the occasional dry sunday blat) but also covers me for track days in both the UK and Europe. I appreciate there won't be anything to cover me for the Ring. Will wait to hear from you Uncle B!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've got insurance with Greenlight for my 250. Again the guy was very friendly and knowledgeable on the . They also told me that they wouldn't charge any extra for mods (not that I had any other than pads).

They also do track insurance for £50 a day. However, on these days your compulsory excess goes up to £2000. I checked what i covered and as far as your own car it's the same as the road cover. But it does not cover damage to 3rd parties, which as far as I'm aware is the same for most track policies. They cover all UK tracks except for Caste Combe. And they do not cover the ring.

Personally, I'd rather a separate track policy if I tracked the car a lot. But it'll probably see 5 trackdays a year so it's not worth it for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blimey a £2k excess!! But i guess if you total your car its worth it. I assume if it doesn't cover 3rd party damage then IF you hit another car the 3rd party is expected to claim off their own policy for their own damage???

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
On my r26 I pay £386 fully comp and every time I do a track day it costs me £50 and the excess doubles from £300-£600 and I'm happy with that for me it's. Stater to be safe than sorry, plus I'm not a gambling man

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Blimey a £2k excess!! But i guess if you total your car its worth it. I assume if it doesn't cover 3rd party damage then IF you hit another car the 3rd party is expected to claim off their own policy for their own damage???
Yeah all UK tracks (as far as I'm aware) state that you drive at your own risk. So if you hit someone they couldn't claim, but you could claim for your damage. Personally I try to keep a good distance from other cars on trackdays! I let the fast guys pass and usually find the slower guys do the same.

2k is a huge amount yeah... my theory is, most track accidents are likely to be damaged wheels and tyres, maybe a bit of bodywork - which are most likely to be fixed for less than 2k and not worth claiming for. I consider the insurance to be the "worst case scenario" insurance and I hope I'll never need to use it. But it's good to know it's there if I have to!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Of the many i have attended, i never have had specific trak insurance. I see it as a waste of time, as seemingly, the requirements far outweight the cover anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my r26 I pay £386 fully comp and every time I do a track day it costs me £50 and the excess doubles from £300-£600 and I'm happy with that for me it's. Stater to be safe than sorry, plus I'm not a gambling man
I think i will definitely be giving Green Light a call then! Although I'm waiting for a call from Uncle Kev to see what magic he can conjure up from his little bag of tricks!! Im hoping not just a manky old rabbit!!!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I think i will definitely be giving Green Light a call then! Although I'm waiting for a call from Uncle Kev to see what magic he can conjure up from his little bag of tricks!! Im hoping not just a manky old rabbit!!!
If he offers to show you his elephant trick and turns out his pockets..start running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to say thank you to Kev for his advice (luckily it was over the phone so couldn't see his pockets!!) - I'm waiting for a call back from a certain company - but very useful info all the same so cheers buddy and see you soon. Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wishing i knew what the advice was...
To be honest it was quite straight forward. In the end though the company that Kev suggested couldn't actually quote me as i have two homes and it was/is slightly complicated. So, ive gone with Competition Car Insurance and I'm pretty happy with everything. The cover is only for ROAD use though. So the only issue i have now is whether i take out a separate policy for track use or don't bother with track cover at all??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts