Megane Sport Forum banner

R26 track day tyres Nankang NS2R or Federal RSR or r888's

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  mk2zetec 
#1 ·
Evening all
Just bought an r26 and plan some track day action. I know r888's are standard fitment on r26r's but they're expensive. I've seen some good reviews of the federals but not the Nankang. Easy to dismiss budget track tyres but the price and some of the reviews make them look like a compelling alternative to toyo's
Cheers
rob

#8 ·
If you want soft compound in the nankangs try cazan racing , he's on here and rsmagane , great price and very fast delivery, like I say I've got the soft compound , great step up for a dry road tyre but not quite as good as a 888 or tyres in the same price bracket, I'll be trying them out again at cadwell on the 5th

#10 ·
I'd just use the Mich Super Sports if the car is also being used on the road.
On Track they will be just as good as some track day tyres over a few laps,and far better on the road.
If your really serious about track days then it would worth spending the money and buying some top track tyres like Dunlops etc

#14 ·
I've got Super Sports on the Meg, and replaced the Super Sports with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race on the Audi.
If it's raining hard, I can't safely go above 60 mph now with the Dunlops.
I notice the extra grip with the Dunlops,but they're expensive,will wear out quickly and are no where near as good in really wet conditions.
Track day tyres need heat in them before the work,and that is hard to achieve on public roads when it's wet.

#16 ·
can vouch for rsr's in alot of rain (was raining twice as hard as it looks in pic) and being able to go over 50 :p from cold there was loads of grip and when warmed up hardly any slide at all.

i have had toyo r1r's on twingo on track in dry and wet and they were really good, but not tried on megane

#18 ·
It's completely different on track., plus you know where there is any standing water.
Problem is many normal UHP road tyres would be quicker in the same conditions,and easily better on public roads in those conditions.As always it's a compromise and how you use the car.

#19 ·
quick update on this...
i bought the nankangs and they're great.... until they get too hot.
recent oulton track day they were fine in the am but went off by late afternoon. still loads of tread on them.
might try some different ones on the front for next track day.
they're fine on the rears

on the road they're great. fantastic grip in the dry, not too bad in the wet....
for the price i think they're good value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.