Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted a little bit of advice/thoughts - an R26R i am seriously looking at purchasing tomorrow has had some brake upgrades and i wanted to know if they were worth keeping and up to the job or do i need to factor in changing them/upgrading them myself if/when i make the purchase - car is via a dealer so i can't ask the original owner.

They are Carbone Lorraine RC5+ brake pads (4098f) and KTR Black Edition grooved discs all supplied by K-TEC racing in April 2010

Obviously ive no idea how many miles the car has covered since having these fitted so they made need replacing anyway soon - but wondered if they were any good or not?

Many thanks for any advice or opinions.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They'll do for now.
Thanks Bahn - but equally ive just read all your comments in another thread and i now realise the issue people have had with the CL pads!!!! Will be taking your suggestion of PF pads if/when i get the car. Can i ask your advice on which discs are the best to upgrade to?? Is brake fluid and hoses a worthwhile upgrade too?? I basically want the best stopping power i can get for the track.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just wanted a little bit of advice/thoughts - an R26R i am seriously looking at purchasing tomorrow has had some brake upgrades and i wanted to know if they were worth keeping and up to the job or do i need to factor in changing them/upgrading them myself if/when i make the purchase - car is via a dealer so i can't ask the original owner.

They are Carbone Lorraine RC5+ brake pads (4098f) and KTR Black Edition grooved discs all supplied by K-TEC racing in April 2010

Obviously ive no idea how many miles the car has covered since having these fitted so they made need replacing anyway soon - but wondered if they were any good or not?

Many thanks for any advice or opinions.

Steve

Same set up as I had, it was great while it lasted but pads fell apart. As barn said, ok for now but take them apart and check the pads for failure. Don't waste money on the black edition discs in the future as the coating comes off in time. Std plain ones on eBay for £89.
Still using my black edition discs but I had to surface grind them after my last track day when ds3000 pads made a mess of them. I'm back on std pads at the minute but I'm going to try them again with ds3000 pads on my next track day but only after re flashing the discs to get rid of any pad transfer first.
I will report how this works in a future post.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Same set up as I had, it was great while it lasted but pads fell apart. As barn said, ok for now but take them apart and check the pads for failure. Don't waste money on the black edition discs in the future as the coating comes off in time. Std plain ones on eBay for £89.
Still using my black edition discs but I had to surface grind them after my last track day when ds3000 pads made a mess of them. I'm back on std pads at the minute but I'm going to try them again with ds3000 pads on my next track day but only after re flashing the discs to get rid of any pad transfer first.
I will report how this works in a future post.
So you sorted that vibration then?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
So you sorted that vibration then?
Yep, sweet as a nut now thanks. I have a nice big surface grinder at work which got them back flat and removed all the damage I reckon the cl5's had done when they fell to bits. I'm back on std pads at the minute but I'm going to put the ds3000's back in for my next track day and try again on a freshly skimmed disc.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Best bit of stopping power for fast road and serious track use?

Performance Friction (PF) 330 mm front floating alloy bells.

PF or Pagid front pads with a high endurance but relatively low µ to offset increased front disk dia.

OEM rear discs with PF or Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Best bit of stopping power for fast road and serious track use?

Performance Friction (PF) 330 mm front floating alloy bells.

PF or Pagid front pads with a high endurance but relatively low µ to offset increased front disk dia.

OEM rear discs with PF or Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid.
Based on experience or research? I understand a few are happy with this set up but after asking lots of questions about this, I was told "to be honest, the best set up for track has been plain discs with DSN11 pads". This was from a guy who has tried all options in race conditions including the pf set up.
When you look at £89 on eBay for plain dissc, this must be an option before spending fortunes on 2 piece kits? The stopping power of the ds3000 pad was unbelievable on my last track day untill I got massive vibration but after investigation this could have been due to the damage and pad transfer caused be my previous cl5 pads. I will post some feedback after my next track day as we need a cheaper solution. Clio cup race cars cope fine.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Based on experience or research? I understand a few are happy with this set up but after asking lots of questions about this, I was told "to be honest, the best set up for track has been plain discs with DSN11 pads". This was from a guy who has tried all options in race conditions including the pf set up.
When you look at £89 on eBay for plain dissc, this must be an option before spending fortunes on 2 piece kits? The stopping power of the ds3000 pad was unbelievable on my last track day untill I got massive vibration but after investigation this could have been due to the damage and pad transfer caused be my previous cl5 pads. I will post some feedback after my next track day as we need a cheaper solution. Clio cup race cars cope fine.
Hoops did ask for the best stopping power for the track. That’s sort of what he got as advice from me, apart from additional cooling mods.

A good budget choice is the plain Brembo HC discs and then junk as required. Not the same performance as a floating PF 330 mm set up though.

Clio Cup cars run an almost standard set up for cost and standardisation but they are also lighter kerb weight. There are better options.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm not having a dig mr conley and your guess is probably a good one. But we don't know for sure which is the best set up as we have not conducted any tests to prove the pf disc with pf pads stop the meg any better than say a plain disc with a dsn11 pad for example.
The reason I raised the Clio cup race car is that they are std disc but with race pads and don't fail all the time. I've had reports of the pf disc having the pad pick up issue also causing bad vibration hence I've not splashed the cash yet.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
cup cars don't rub 3000's though
Yep I know this Bahn, the ds3000's are what I bought before oulton park and suffered massive vibration issues in the afternoon. Since this I have been asking lots of questions and finding out good information which I will try out in the future. For now thou, since I have spent good money on the ds3000's, i am going to try them again on fresh discs and see what happens. They where spot on pre vibration.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Id imagein plain disks with a good pad to be good for a while but as the megs a lot heavier than a cup car, as we knw they do get hot and do fade, thats where the pf 330 out perform, my opinion anyway + braided lines and decent fluid of course.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
There is also the option of Godspeeds Alcon 330mm upgrade - Subaru owners swear by them so can't be bad, half the price of the pf discs which are hugely overpriced in my opinion

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
What problems have people had with CL5+ pads ?
Mine work really well with the standard size 2p grooved discs.
Can't see how the car would need anything else,for normal track use, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Yep I know this Bahn, the ds3000's are what I bought before oulton park and suffered massive vibration issues in the afternoon. Since this I have been asking lots of questions and finding out good information which I will try out in the future. For now thou, since I have spent good money on the ds3000's, i am going to try them again on fresh discs and see what happens. They where spot on pre vibration.
Vibration is just pad pickup. Learn to threshold brake. It will reduce the chances of excessive pad transfer.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts