Megane Sport Forum banner

Reasonably sporty hard wearing tires?

692 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  framerateuk 
#1 ·
I need a new set of tyres for the 250.

With my commute a long a very rough concrete road, I'm finding that I'm not getting great mileage out of the PS2's on the car, so I'm looking for something that'll have less wear, and maybe a tad less road noise?

I've got seperate wheels for track use, so these won't be tracked, but will be used for a spirited blast on the weekends.

Currently looking at Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. They seem to tick all the boxes? Anyone got any other suggestions before I go off and order a set?

#2 ·
the ass2 sounds like a good bet but I'm not sure your going to get a massive improvement with any sports tyre just by the nature of the beast :). would i be a better bet going for a lower end tyre to just use for the commute? if you do find a long wearing sports tyre be sure to tell us all first ;)

#5 ·
I'd consider the Hankooks too, but I probably wouldn't try Khumo. I'm looking and the Vredstein Sessansa too. Only £136 fitted per wheel at the moment, and from past experience with them the grip is excellent and the wear is very good too, so these might sway me over the F1s!

#9 ·
Thanks guys. Very keen on the F1's at the moment. I had a single F1 when a PS2 buldged on a track day. It wasn't great for track use and seemed to blister huge pieces of rubber, but the grip was excellent and it seemed to wear really well (regardless of the chunks coming off it).

#19 ·
Well, ordered the F1 Assymetric 2 in the end instead of the Vredsteins. The vreds wear rather quickly by all accounts, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the F1's perform when I get them fitted on Wednesday/Thursday.

Found a local mobile tyre fitter who will fit 8 tyres (4 x F1's and 4 x PS2's - for the track) for £60, all at my place of work. Brilliant!

#21 ·
After getting soaked in the rain today my tyres are finally fitted.

First impressions are, the F1's are much, MUCH quieter than the PS2. Far less road noise which was a pleasure on the way home. I've also noticed they've got a much better rim protector than the PS2's.

They're not worn in yet, and I haven't had a chance to drive them in anger so I guess I'll chirp in with my full impressions at a later date. But definately already sold thanks to the decreased noise!

#22 ·
Slight update, the rim protectors on the F1's are fantastic! I clipped my wheels twice yesterday in a very narrow multi-storey car park, and not a single mark on them!

Now that they're worn in too, grip seems just as good as the PS2's for road use. They seem to give way around the same sort of speeds, and grippiness is as good as ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.