Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
A couple of fellow track dayers I know did it when the bought the cars back in 2009. Both said that whilst the extra power was nice it blurred the nice balance if power and weight out in circuit and left them wondering of it was coping with the added strain of track use. One had it removed (I don't know how) the other sold the car on shortly after.
Personally I can't see the point. If I want a car with more power I buy one. It also seems that mapped .R seem to linger longer in the second hand ads.

Just my input take it or leave it.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I had a stage 1 on my old R. Gave that bit extra that I always thought it needed. Was only a plug-in map from RST, not mapped on the RR, ran 250bhp/260torques on TDF's rollers so no silly figures like some get.

Stage 2 R's seem hard to sell but I don't think that's the case with just a stage 1.

Id defo do it again if I bought another :)

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
I have a plug-in map stored on my laptop, haven't ever bothered putting it on the car though. Like it the way it is tbh.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a stage 1 on my old R. Gave that bit extra that I always thought it needed. Was only a plug-in map from RST, not mapped on the RR, ran 250bhp/260torques on TDF's rollers so no silly figures like some get.

Stage 2 R's seem hard to sell but I don't think that's the case with just a stage 1.

Id defo do it again if I bought another :)
Did you track your car? Did it cope putting the the extra power down out of the corners given the extra torque?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of fellow track dayers I know did it when the bought the cars back in 2009. Both said that whilst the extra power was nice it blurred the nice balance if power and weight out in circuit and left them wondering of it was coping with the added strain of track use. One had it removed (I don't know how) the other sold the car on shortly after.
Personally I can't see the point. If I want a car with more power I buy one. It also seems that mapped .R seem to linger longer in the second hand ads.

Just my input take it or leave it.
I take your point to a degree Bahn, but a bit more power can't be a bad thing can it? As far as I'm aware, the OE map can be put back on anytime (I did this with my previous TT)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a plug-in map stored on my laptop, haven't ever bothered putting it on the car though. Like it the way it is tbh.
I like mine the way it is too but I'm upgrading the brakes to a similar PF setup to yours (same as Bahns having spoken to Track-Club - thanks btw Kev) and a sympathetic power / torque gain sounds appealing. If yours is a plug in map, surely you can write/overwrite when you please?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
My car has been on track several times with 350-400hp and had no issues at all so a stage 1 map is hardly going to cause issues with traction!

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Its just the fact that most of the .R's I know of live a life of track only work. I wonder how the engine would cope with even a mild map under those conditions constantly.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Matt at TDF has done several track only .R's and normal R26's with both stg1 and stg2 with no issues. The only issue we had were ring landings on a 310hp hybrid one which covered a lot of miles on track.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car has been on track several times with 350-400hp and had no issues at all so a stage 1 map is hardly going to cause issues with traction!
The inside wheel will break traction coming out of a slow corner in stock form very easiliy if T/C is switched off. Won't more power & more torque will only exaserbate this?

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Megane 265 Trophy more power than a 250 how can not mapping a .r help? I had my .r mapped and u notice the difference straight away and out on track had no probs (please note this was my first .r I owned, never did with second as I sold it after having it for 3 months)

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
I've never read so much rubbish , Ive been out in Paul's on donington with specky driving with 385 bhp and there was no problem with traction at all, my R26 is on stage 1 with no problem , there are loads out there mapped and used on track days , trust me it won't make it slower than a standard car. Loads more torque so there is no need to rev it so high and still and still do the same lap times. Just get it done your only adding 10% increase in power.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
The inside wheel will break traction coming out of a slow corner in stock form very easiliy if T/C is switched off. Won't more power & more torque will only exaserbate this?
True, they do.
Likely it will but i'd be weighing the up the beneifts of more power in other scenarios against a little pedal management in those slow corners.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Matt at TDF has done several track only .R's and normal R26's with both stg1 and stg2 with no issues. The only issue we had were ring landings on a 310hp hybrid one which covered a lot of miles on track.
When you say ring landings do yo mean these?

Because I do a bit of that. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts