Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Renault reliability records of various types and I'm assuming RenaultSport cars are integrated into those.

The only 'ammunition' people can throw at my car is Renault reliability but RenaultSport cars are built in their own factory. I want to believe this makes my car better than your ordinary Renault :tt2: Are there RenaultSport only statistics somewhere regarding reliability, driver satisfaction etc?

·
Registered
337 Posts
:yes[1]:

"I want to believe"
Me too, Mines just shy of 16k and going strong, never had a problem yet "dont think i should of said that" :b I seem to think because its a March 2011 the teething problems will have been sorted and its going to be perfect but only time will tell :)

Giz

·
Registered
758 Posts
take a look around , the only older cars still on the road are vw , renaults and land rovers must say some thing , i see quite alot of the older megane coupes still looking in top condition and going strong

·
Registered
250 Posts
The RS250 is made in Spain on a production line like every other Megane is it not?

The Dieppe Factory only make the Renault Sport Clio.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most problems on modern cars that cause them to fail are related to electrical problems. The electronics in the 250 aren't different from any other Megane. That and the fact that it's built in the same plant as the others, make it safe to assume their reliability will be about the same.

My 197 failed on me a couple of times in 4yrs and 160.000km. The starter after only 1yr and the fuel pump after 3,5yrs, both leaving me stranded. And an ignition coil has failed on me on two separate occasions, not something that's very serious, but some people would probably stop as they thing their engine is on it's way out.

So, I can't say they are very reliable in my experience. But I bought the 250 anyway, it's such a great driver's car. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thats correct, the RS250 is built in Spain!

My 2011 '61 plate RS250 with 3.5k miles on the clock broke down a couple of weeks back due to an electrical fault. Fair enough, there was a recall on it for that exact problem, which I'd ignored, but I still don't think its acceptable for a car with a list price of £30+K (fully specced).

I will definately be buying german next time!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hmmmm..... after coming from BMW ownership I can't say they are too much more reliable, put it this way when they do go wrong its time to bend over and brace yourself.
may the VAG cars are better though?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Car reliability has improved a lot in the past 20 years. When people refer to Renaults, they usually go on about old cars haviong huge electrical problems, but that's a long time ago!

I can't say the Megane has been any worse or better than the previous cars I've owned. It's had a couple of issues. Nothing major, and all sorted by the garage. Only time will tell if the 250 is better built that is predecessors, but I'm quite sure the reliability is up there with the other manufacturers.

And not all german cars are problem free. Mercs are known for going wrong and costing a lot to repair. I've got friends with very normal BMW's which have been back to the garage several times and still have issues.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Doesn't matter on the make really. You get good cars and bad cars all the same. The perceived german reliability is a thing of the past, the only things that still conform to their image are basic jap stuff.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Doesn't matter on the make really. You get good cars and bad cars all the same. The perceived german reliability is a thing of the past, the only things that still conform to their image are basic jap stuff.
Even then, the Jap stuff isn't all great. My dad's on his 4th Impreza and he's had problems with the last two.

He had a WR1 which drained it's battery completely if it was left for more than 4 days without being used (sometimes less!). The garage couldn't find the issue and it was eventually sold.

His current STI 330S has a nice habbit of cracking all the brake pads, and that's without any track use. The discs were also warped - took a lot of convincing to get Subaru to admit it was their problem.

That said, aside from those issues, the Subaru's have been pretty solid.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Even then, the Jap stuff isn't all great. My dad's on his 4th Impreza and he's had problems with the last two.

He had a WR1 which drained it's battery completely if it was left for more than 4 days without being used (sometimes less!). The garage couldn't find the issue and it was eventually sold.

His current STI 330S has a nice habbit of cracking all the brake pads, and that's without any track use. The discs were also warped - took a lot of convincing to get Subaru to admit it was their problem.

That said, aside from those issues, the Subaru's have been pretty solid.
I said basic, meaning Agyo's etc. Imprezas are far from basic and the hatches have numerous well documented issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My mate's bmw was only a few years old and had a massive problem a few months ago which cost him £1500+ to fix. Can't remember what it was. Involved the engine and all electrics cutting out randomly whilst driving though, losing all control of the vehicle! Not good. He's since got rid of it and bought a civic 140 diesel, which interestingly has almost as much torque as the meg!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts