Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any success using the RS monitor in snow mode on the snow or no different?!! Im looking forward to giving it a try in the morning! Was surprised when i saw it on the screen as a selection and curious to see it working!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah its good little thing, just does the soft throttle bit for you ensures you don't wheel spin, used it last year and then first time tonight on the way back from work, i find it helpful but could drive without it haha!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It helped me get through the deep snow last year. The fine control over the throttle really helps you get grip.

Still, the tyres aren't great in the snow, but the snow mode is better than nothing!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I gave it a try the previous year and I managed to climp a mountain but when I stoped and tried to start again and climp, the car spined and moved left and right... Tyres are not for snow and ice, the snow mode is just to smooth the throttle a bit.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
How is the ESP/traction control working in snow mode? According to the RS user manual it is possible to select snow mode by configuring parameters on the RS monitor and the manual says that "This function is only accessible when the ESP/Traction control function is in Sport mode or is deactivated..."

Does Sport mode in combination with Snow mode alter the behaviour of ESP/TC compared to Normal mode?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a bit surprised by this too, as the Sport mode allows for a higher yaw-rate before it interrupts the driver. Thus making the possibility for success in extreme situations a little bit slimmer. But then again, even in Sport mode the ESP is still very alert, but without constantly intruding with everything you do.

So I for one find it very pleasant to drive with snow-mode on. Especially with proper wintertires and the LSD. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my experience yesterday was great until I got on a fair bit of snow and then I got stuck. I was just sitting there with wheels spinning a little bit and going side to side. To stop me from hitting anyone I gave up and had to leave the car in the middle of the car park outside my flat. I then returned with a spade and dug a path to a car park space and could then slowly get the car there!! Not much help on summer tires!

·
Registered
964 Posts
My wife found the snow mode helped her loads today. The 225 we had was absolutely useless in the snow, too much power to the front wheels with no LSD didn't help. She hated driving the 225 but loves the 250 as its a lot smoother for her, she gave the snow mode a big thumbs up. Not tried it myself, my view of it would possibly be totally different as we are like chalk n cheese with our driving styles. I still believe its how you drive as opposed to the various modes available. Summer tyres on a 2ltr turbo in the snow = wheel spin regardless of snow mode, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Difference between summer and winter tires is like night and day. Had summers on my 197 before and it was terrible, no traction at all. But then again, I don't know how often you guys in the UK have snow. Over here we had lot's of snow the past two winters, so I decided to go for it this year. But up to last friday, that appeared to have been a waste of money... :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just turned it to sport mode, esp off. made it. very easy to drive but ive just had brandnew ps3's on the front so plenty of tread ;)

giz

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Snow mode works well especially with winter tyres. If you're trying to get out the deep stuff its always advisable to switch ESP off anyway - activating Sport to select Snow mode does this for you. The idea is that you should re-engage ESP when off an running under normal driving.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
... If you're trying to get out the deep stuff its always advisable to switch ESP off anyway - activating Sport to select Snow mode does this for you. ...
Yes, it is sometimes useful to be able to switch ESP off when trying to get moving from deep snow. However as far as I understand the ESP/TC are still on in the Snow mode.

The Snow mode could be useful for normal winter driving if the ESP/TC interference thresholds would not be higher than normally and this would be combined with softer throttle. And by normal winter driving I don't mean the normal conditions which you have in the UK. I mean snowy/icy conditions.

I'm still not sure what happens with the ESP/TC in the snow mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts