Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How hard / easy is it for our beloved 225s to be stolen? With the card system I would have thought difficult. Then again I suppose any window can be smashed and handbrake taken off and pushed away. The alarm should make them f**k off though.

Rowdy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Is the alarm on the 225 same as the normal Megane ones? If they are I doubt it'll really be any use as its so quiet. However even if they let the handbrake off the steering lock i still there so unless they only push it in a straight line they'll have trouble, they also won't be able to open the doors from the inside as its dealocked.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering locks are not hard to break though are they. My mate had a car stolen by a tow truck. Cheeky twats.
 

·
Site Admin
Joined
·
20,189 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The megane would be like any other car, very difficult to steal unless they had the key. There is the prospect of using a tow truck, but the amount of work needed to sort the locking, immobiliser out, it might be better for the criminals to buy one !!!!

The security on them is pretty good, ranging from the alarm - motion sensors, immobiliser, deadlocks.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it being stolen to be honest. Just make sure you sleep with your key and hide your spare in a very good place !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Just be thankful that you don't hear of 225's being car jacked and stolen like the CTR's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,432 Posts
Thats coz the average member of the public hasn't really heard about the Megane 225s!! lol

The CTRs are much more well known.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
One of the things i read about the megane when it was in the pre launch phase was that they hired a professional car theif to design the locking system. Although there is a card system or hands free on the door lock on the right hand side there is a cap that comes off which reveals a lock. The kiy is contained in the slide out part of your card that you use to start teh car.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ado said:
Just be thankful that you don't hear of 225's being car jacked and stolen like the CTR's.
Was watching car wars on TV on Monday night, it's about the police trying to stop car crime.

Anyway, they were chasing a car jacked CTR on that. Police said it was a desirable car. Remember thinking thank god no one knows about the 225. There's not much car jacking up here anyway. If any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
This post has reminded me! I've got a hands free card, and keep it in my pocket when driving. I was under the impression that if I were to get car jacked, then the car would cut out later on down the road! I tried this out, the missus drove off, and came back again! So I take its not supposed to? I just remember a renault man telling me this would happen!

Also where does the key (from inside the card) go to start the car up, if the battery goes? Think I remember the push button door handles popping off to open the door, but never figured out how to start the car!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,543 Posts
Can you not just then put the card in the slot and it'll work like a none-handsfree one?

Or do the handsfree ones not have a slot?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey ho

I had a battery fault last year on my 225 and discovered that you cant start the engine full stop.
It seems harsh but if they built a lock system in the pro's would soon work it out.
Most likely way someone would steal one would be to break window, break steering lock, tow away. Only way to actually hack one would be to use a code grabber and you would need a proximity card machine to encode a blank.

A process that would take at lease 1-2 hours...

I have tracker fitted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
cactusbob said:
Can you not just then put the card in the slot and it'll work like a none-handsfree one?
Im not sure, the battery hasn't gone yet. I'll take battery out and give it ago!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,297 Posts
dickie said:
This post has reminded me! I've got a hands free card, and keep it in my pocket when driving. I was under the impression that if I were to get car jacked, then the car would cut out later on down the road! I tried this out, the missus drove off, and came back again! So I take its not supposed to? I just remember a renault man telling me this would happen!

Also where does the key (from inside the card) go to start the car up, if the battery goes? Think I remember the push button door handles popping off to open the door, but never figured out how to start the car!
you cant start the car with the little key, it just allows you to get into the car and put the key in the slot if the battery has gon flat on the card or if the car battery has gone flat it allows you to get into the car to open the bonnet.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top