Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the thread in the 250 section regarding lap times, semi slicks and power mods I thought I'd start on in here to get some input about having a dedicated track set of tyres for the R26. I've never used them before and literally know nothing about them.

Main question has to be are they worth it for the serious amature and how much could they shave off a lap of say Oulton park, (as it's my local) 2.78 miles long? What are they like to drive on or does this depend on makes, compound levels etc? I've used PS2's for all my track stuff before and they offer good grip and are progressive. If anything steps out of line it's not a major problem to correct. I've heard people say semi slicks are a different ball game and much harder to catch - any truth?

Over to you.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
Tell you what MJ I use the federal RSRs there more grippier than the PS2s but still easy to catch when it goes wrong, there also very good in the wet and day to day driving and wear very well and there not to expensive either mate , I swear by them as do the Mazda mx5 race series racers

Steve

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Following on from the thread in the 250 section regarding lap times, semi slicks and power mods I thought I'd start on in here to get some input about having a dedicated track set of tyres for the R26. I've never used them before and literally know nothing about them.

Main question has to be are they worth it for the serious amature and how much could they shave off a lap of say Oulton park, (as it's my local) 2.78 miles long? What are they like to drive on or does this depend on makes, compound levels etc? I've used PS2's for all my track stuff before and they offer good grip and are progressive. If anything steps out of line it's not a major problem to correct. I've heard people say semi slicks are a different ball game and much harder to catch - any truth?

Over to you.
I have it....

Simple. If you are after lap times, the conditions are right for the boots and you can’t get more pace cheaper and more effectively from other measures and have peaked out on timing - then you will save about 2-3 secs per lap on the full circuit.

Next......

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
They feel great MJ on track. Transform the car IMO. I'm moving away from r888's when my current set are shot as I find them getting too hot in the summer months. Last time out at oulton they where spot on but it was a cold day.
Mich cups next for me as they seem to suit a heavier car and last well as all michelin tyres seem to do.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk...T,CUP,(SEMI-SLICK)/225,40,R18,88,Y,(FSL).html

Have a look at the link to get a overview of different track tyres with a few pros and cons for each.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...odrich-toyo-michelin-and-yokohama-tires-rated

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All true. So I assumed he wasn't. Please forgive me if you are. But I have to ask: Are you..?
I wear one of these beauts on a daily basis -

Seriously - Thanks for the repies guys and there's always room for improvement so I'll look into some training aswell. I plan to do a few track days this year and it seems there is someone on hand at the RS ones who takes you out in your car and gives you pointers etc. Granted it won't be as in depth as a half day 1 to 1 but then It's only a tenner opposed to over £500.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Colin is worth it trust me. The guy is ex Nissan vehicle evaluator. He's more car control than a simple entry apex and exit trainer. Nonetheless he is a lot more than a 10er ;). It's worth it for a free reign round millbrook alone. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
For track use, semi slicks are the best mod you can have.
They will easily beat any engine, suspension, or brake mod for quicker lap times.
For track use.
1st tyres
2nd weight saving
3rd brakes
4th suspension
5th engine.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
For track use, semi slicks are the best mod you can have.
They will easily beat any engine, suspension, or brake mod for quicker lap times.
For track use.
1st tyres
2nd weight saving
3rd brakes
4th suspension
5th engine.
I'd be changing brake pads before weight saving on our cars. Quick to do when putting on your track wheels and easy to go back std for general road when changing the wheels back.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. The only time they will get used on the road is traveling to and from the event.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
tell me to bugger off if im wrong mj but from reading some of your posts i think you use your car the same sort of way i do ie daily driver not doing to many miles and occasional track toy? i too have thought about tyre choice and decided to just go for a high performance road tyre. what i mean is you may save 2-3 seconds a lap with them but you still have to shell out the £700-£800 a set to just sit there i just think it may be worth investing the money elsewhere like the training bahn suggested as i guess both you and i would gain more than 2-3 secs round oulton doing so? :)

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
MJ I've told you go and buy a set of federal RSR tyres in 225/40/18 they are awsome on the road even better on track great in the wet the tread pattern looks cool if that bothers you and they are dam cheap compared to others I've just had 2 new one delivered from Camskill for £261 , hope this helps mate they transformed mine on the track and I'll be sticking with them .

Steve

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe so Salty. TBH I'm not going to go out tomorrow and buy a set of rims and 4 new track tyres. It won't stop me looking for a cheap set of rims and tryes tho. I use high quality road rubber anyway but at around £300 a pair I don't want to be toasting them and runing them on the road. I know semi slicks won't last as long but for the milage I'll be doing on track think they would be a better option and I could let them go down to a lower tread than I would my road tyres depedning how they feel. I do plan to get abit of coaching. Just waiting for some RS trackdays and I'll see how helpfull there on site training guys are.

Just geting a few more opinions Steve on what to keep an eye out for.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turn up at a track day and take mine out MJ see what you think of them before you buy
Your very trusting Steve and obviously havn't seen me drive ;)

I'm not far from Oulton so mite come up when your there next. I'm waiting for the RS track day dates to be announced so I can plan any others around some of those.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
tell me to bugger off if im wrong mj but from reading some of your posts i think you use your car the same sort of way i do ie daily driver not doing to many miles and occasional track toy? i too have thought about tyre choice and decided to just go for a high performance road tyre. what i mean is you may save 2-3 seconds a lap with them but you still have to shell out the £700-£800 a set to just sit there i just think it may be worth investing the money elsewhere like the training bahn suggested as i guess both you and i would gain more than 2-3 secs round oulton doing so? :)
Remember also that track rubber is can become unsafe if stored in the cold. It has a tendency to crack below 0 degrees. So not advisable to leave on the car unless its kept nice and toasty ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts