Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking at buying this car and wanted to know what everyone thinks, it drives well and no problems that I can notice. I have spent a long time on here and made notes what to look for. Only problem is that it has not had a cam belt change ever and there is no warranty as he is giving me a big discount (£750 off) so if anything happens with it once I drive off with it then it is down to me to sort. Also he will put a years MOT on it.

Please help me and any advice would be appreciated as going to put a deposit down within the next few days.

Heres the car-

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ostcode/me160jq/keywords/225/page/1?logcode=p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi mate,

There's no such thing as sold as seen or no warranty when buying from a dealer.

Iirc the minimum they gave to give by law is 30 days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said for that price I would be buying it under a trade deal so there would be no come back on him if anything was to happen when I drove it way from him. Just worried about cam belt. Any issues I should look for ect?

·
Registered
296 Posts
He said for that price I would be buying it under a trade deal so there would be no come back on him if anything was to happen when I drove it way from him. Just worried about cam belt. Any issues I should look for ect?
He carnt do that even if he had neon signs all the car telling you this.

30 day minimum warrenty by law.

You should be ok mate- just make sure it drives well take it out for a proper test drive before handing over the cash and give it some stick

Not sure what the main issues are on the ph1 but injectors are Commen listen out for spitting from the exhaust.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
high pitched whistle from the exhaust? Not loud but could here it on idle? Had a look and couldn't find anything about this

·
Registered
296 Posts
No it sounds like a coughing spitting noise mate. Not sure what the high pitch whistle is about.

Just check the usual stuff all electrics work,no smoke on boost or idle,tyres ok and brakes. All lights work etc

Take it out on a good run 20-30 mins put fuel in if need be just satisfy yourself its ok before handing the cash over.

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
It should sound like that , it's the standard middle box that helps make the sound so that's normal, have you thought about an rac check ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its black... Up for £4650 but he will take off £750 so will be £3900 if my maths is right. It seem a nice car in good condition just worried about-

1. He is letting it go at a cheap price
2. The cam belt was meant to be done 2009

I am thinking about getting a AA warranty could only get it next month, also it says its HPI clear but i will run a check myself. It didn't come with any previous MOT's a part from the current one.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Its black... Up for £4650 but he will take off £750 so will be £3900 if my maths is right. It seem a nice car in good condition just worried about-

1. He is letting it go at a cheap price
2. The cam belt was meant to be done 2009

I am thinking about getting a AA warranty could only get it next month, also it says its HPI clear but i will run a check myself. It didn't come with any previous MOT's a part from the current one.
It states blue, and looks like Midnight Blue tbh mate!

If you need peace of mind I'd go for yer own HPI check (on the day/day before sale), RAC/AA inspection and aftersale/third party warranty. Have you inspected the services? Do they add up, and any incling of belts/fluid changes etc. in there?

But as stated, I think he's obliged to give some warranty - sounds like he's trying to get you to waive this if you'll take the discount and sign on the dotted...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry yes it is midnight blue, its been a long day. I did not inspect the service history too much but don't think in included any belt/fluid changes had 4 stamps I think. The next service is due in about 11,000 miles though and the first thing I would do is get it in for a cam belt. i would get the HPI check done the day before I was to buy the car even though it dose come with one.

Yea his words where "if I give you this discount there is no come back on me if anything happens when you drive the car away, as we are selling it as a trade price"

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Honestly mate he can say all He wants but it's illegal for a dealer to sell a car without a warranty no matter what.

Private sales are different but a dealer just can not do this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would it be best to walk away then as it would go through as a "traders" deal? Just seems like a great deal but as I have been told before "if its to good to be true... It probably is"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly mate he can say all He wants but it's illegal for a dealer to sell a car without a warranty no matter what.

Private sales are different but a dealer just can not do this.
I think it would be classed as a private deal from what he was saying

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you want it buy it mate, it carnt go though as a trade sale you have warranty by law he knows this he just trying it on mate.

Get Aa/rac to check it out and get a aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Dealers can use the term "trade sale" to get out of the 30 day warranty
If your looking for a decent 225 I'm selling mine soon and better spec than that one for the same money if your interested?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealers can use the term "trade sale" to get out of the 30 day warranty
If your looking for a decent 225 I'm selling mine soon and better spec than that one for the same money if your interested?
I am p/x my BMW 330i Msport... Thats why I needed to go trade cause most private sells don't take p/x or I would of done it.

I will get AA warranty but cant afford the check, I don't know how much the check is but couldn't afford it really.

Just thinking if I should buy a car off someone who is selling a car to me as "trade" when he can't. Thanks again everyone for all your replies, I amin two minds to get the car or not. Just seems a really good deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts