Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the nearside rear brake caliper replaced yesterday. (failed parking brake on this side in MOT)...

On the drive home, after picking the car up, I noticed that the braking was 'softer' than normal. I'm used to the car stopping on a dime, with lots of feel/resistance in the pedal from top to bottom... Now I get a small amount of instant feel, then it goes soft until almost the bottom!! And there is nowhere near as much braking power from the front... very used to having the nose drop under hard braking...
As a 'test and feel' moment whilst at a standstill, I pressed the pedal to the floor and got a squelching/hissing sound from the handbrake housing area of the car when at the last inch of travel!!

Does this sound like air in the lines? or normal after such work?

+

Noticed a 5pence sized chip in the front bumper with scrapes underneath (with paint and plastic hanging down!!) definately not there before it went to the garage (I know, as I cleaned the car the night before it went it... and checked the lower edges of the front when drying!!)...

This car just seems to attract the incompetent wherever it goes (my driving included :eek: )

Now saving up to take it to a 'professional' Renault Sport garage... If I can find one near Cornwall...

I think I have engine mounts that need doing... The still unresolved engine/belt rubbing noise (threaded on here)... Clutch engagement 'slapping' (if there is such a thing... though it might be engine movement mount issues)... A requirement for the shortshift linkage mod... A newer version of the 225 :yes[1]:

It's been a bad year for me and this car...

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
A soft pedal immediately after brake change is normal (pump the pedal a few times) but it sounds like you have air in the system, A rebleed is required.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Had the nearside rear brake caliper replaced yesterday. (failed parking brake on this side in MOT)...

On the drive home, after picking the car up, I noticed that the braking was 'softer' than normal. I'm used to the car stopping on a dime, with lots of feel/resistance in the pedal from top to bottom... Now I get a small amount of instant feel, then it goes soft until almost the bottom!! And there is nowhere near as much braking power from the front... very used to having the nose drop under hard braking...
As a 'test and feel' moment whilst at a standstill, I pressed the pedal to the floor and got a squelching/hissing sound from the handbrake housing area of the car when at the last inch of travel!!

Does this sound like air in the lines? or normal after such work?

+

Noticed a 5pence sized chip in the front bumper with scrapes underneath (with paint and plastic hanging down!!) definately not there before it went to the garage (I know, as I cleaned the car the night before it went it... and checked the lower edges of the front when drying!!)...

This car just seems to attract the incompetent wherever it goes (my driving included :eek: )

Now saving up to take it to a 'professional' Renault Sport garage... If I can find one near Cornwall...

I think I have engine mounts that need doing... The still unresolved engine/belt rubbing noise (threaded on here)... Clutch engagement 'slapping' (if there is such a thing... though it might be engine movement mount issues)... A requirement for the shortshift linkage mod... A newer version of the 225 :yes[1]:

It's been a bad year for me and this car...
Sounds defo like air in system.
When i replaced the two rear callipers on my impreza,we had a nightmare of a job to bleed all the air out.
Had to do it 3 times to get it all out.

If you get stuck,drive it up to me and we will bleed your system and do your shortshift if you like!!

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
Not having much Luck are you mate if I was nearer I'd sort the car out for you

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not having much Luck are you mate if I was nearer I'd sort the car out for you
Trust me... Bristol isn't that far... I'd drive to the moon to get the car sorted right now... Really am starting to think that it isn't worth the trouble... no matter how much I enjoy the 225. :(

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
andrewjeffs - Where 'bouts are you?

Would you do engine mounts?

PM rough costs?

Cheers
I am in north devon..barnstaple.

I have a mate who is a renault tech in a renault dealership garage.

I will ask him how much of a job it is to change the mounts.
He has access to the garage facilities in his own time so if anyone can do it he can.

I will speak to him.
Everything could be done in one go..at mates rates.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in north devon..barnstaple.

I have a mate who is a renault tech in a renault dealership garage.

I will ask him how much of a job it is to change the mounts.
He has access to the garage facilities in his own time so if anyone can do it he can.

I will speak to him.
Everything could be done in one go..at mates rates.
That would be blooming marvelous... Cheers Sir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts