Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2nd hand RS250 Cup and after doing some research on here and other forums I decided to contact Renault UK customer services regarding the speedo needle. I've gotta say they were fantastic !!! One of the managers ( Harry Griffiths ) was not only polite, but explained what Renault would do to rectify my problem/concern. They offered the standard £50 replacement, and with in 5 mins my local garage at Mansfield ( Co-Operative Group ) called me to book my car in.
I know there's some bad feelings regarding Renault's stance on this issue, but to get it sorted and booked in with in 5 mins can only mean that they are trying there hardest to listen to customers, and try and keep them happy. I myself couldn't be happier with the service and think Renault deserve praise for there actions.
They have confirmed that the new speedo will be set to 0 once fitted so it will feel like I've got a brand new car :)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
the mileage on the new meganes are now stored on the ECU and changing the speedo doesnt change anything. if you swap out the speedo with a new one or a second hand one, the car's original milage reading will appear.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Changing it back to zero again will just be like 'clocking it' wouldn't it? Illegal iirc
Not really, as long as its correctly documented it's perfectly legal. Only against the law if you were trying to pass it off as mileage being lower than it actually is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Renault UK and the main dealer both said it would be 0 on the new clocks. The work invoice would show the mileage of the previous clocks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've had a speedo replaced as the OBC screen broke on my last one, the mileage was not reset. I'd be surprised if they intentionally reset the mileage for you as this is held in the ECU.

·
Events Co-ordinator
1,347 Posts
iv had mine done and as you said renault were great about it but your mileometer will definitely carry on from what milage you already have

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a speedo replaced as the OBC screen broke on my last one, the mileage was not reset. I'd be surprised if they intentionally reset the mileage for you as this is held in the ECU.
I did find it a surprise as all the threads say the ECU holds the data, but I will deffo mention it to the garage in case there saying that so they don't have to waste time plugging it in :p

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
it will store all your other reading like MPG the only thing that was reset was the trip counter and that goes to the same as the mileage

·
Registered
964 Posts
The colour and angle of the needle means you can't see it in various daylight conditions, have you not noticed this b4 Jenga?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hi.
I would have thought the computer holds all the data, as the key card does also. If you go to a dealer and present the key card, all the cars data is held on it.
Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Is the milage stored in the ECU just one the 250's or is it the same one the 225's aswell, i want to get some white clocks but i dont want different milage..

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
What actually is the issue with the speedo?
The colour and angle of the needle means you can't see it in various daylight conditions, have you not noticed this b4 Jenga?
Yes it is bloody shocking.

1) Cant see the petrol needle.
2) Cant see the left indicator at 50mph.
3) The big numbers are 10, 50 and 90 mph and not 30 and 70 mph - have to guess when you are 30mph.
4) The speedo needle is hard to see.

The display in this regard is hopeless.

So this can be changed can it?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Yes it is bloody shocking.

1) Cant see the petrol needle.
2) Cant see the left indicator at 50mph.
3) The big numbers are 10, 50 and 90 mph and not 30 and 70 mph - have to guess when you are 30mph.
4) The speedo needle is hard to see.

The display in this regard is hopeless.

So this can be changed can it?
The revised speedo has a different coloured needle. That is the only difference!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts