Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've had a bit of a long saga resolving why my car was handling so poorly. To cut to the chase a couple of weeks ago I went to get my laser alignment/geo done, matey at the alignment centre told me that due to play in the rack there was no point in doing the geo.

The car's under extended Renault warranty so I took it to Renault.
The Renaultsport techie said there was no play in the rack and that it was the NSF steering arm, which he replaced and did the alignment/geo, and charged the warranty company £360 quid for that and I took the car home for the weekend.

So yesterday the handling didnt as an R26 should, and I took it back to the alignment centre and the guys put the car on the ramp and showed me the new steering arm fitted by Renault. They also explained to me that if I hold the steering arm and someone moves the wheel you can feel that there is play in the rack.

So this morning again I took it back to Renault west london and left it with them , I explained the whole problem to them. three hours later they call me back that the renault technician has detected play in the rack but says that it is not enough to warrant changing it as it wouldn't fail an MOT. They also contacted my warranty company and told them about it. and the warranty company said that unless renault admit that the part is in need of replacing they wont be covering an claim.

So what my next step.....
Any thoughts appreciated,
Bottom line is my car doesnt drive like it should and is still under warranty, should Renault just fix it?

Thanks

Munish

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Take it to another garage im sure theres plenty that would be glad of the work and would change it for you and put the warranty claim through without question

·
Registered
472 Posts
You are covered by the sales act,

Your rights when you buy a car
Get advice from Consumer Direct

Advice on buying a second hand car (YouTube video) Opens new window When you buy a car from a car dealer or an online car dealer (also known as traders), the car must be:

of satisfactory quality, eg the windscreen should not be chipped
fit for purpose, eg if you ask for a car that can tow a caravan it should be able to
as described, eg the car should match its description given in conversation or in an advert
If a car doesn’t meet any of these points, it is faulty and you will usually have the right to a:

repair
replacement
refund

If you buy a car from a trader online or over the phone, you also have the right to a 'cooling off' period. This gives you seven working days after the car has been delivered to cancel your order for any reason and get your money back.

If you buy a car from a private seller or at a car auction for traders, you have fewer rights. The car only has to:

match the description given by the seller
be theirs to sell, eg the car isn't stolen or owned by a finance company because the car loan hasn't been paid off
Before you buy a car, you should carry out checks to reduce the risk of it being faulty or stolen

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
When my car went for it's first mot and was still under warranty I was told I had the same problem. It wasn't a mot fail but they still replaced it under warranty. Not sure if they were entirely truthful with renault though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,
Just a quick update, the warranty company will be sending their engineer to check the rack on Wed 18th. I hope they just replace the damn thing, all this to and fro to renault is a right pain in the arse.
Fingers crossed.....
The thing about taking it to another Renault dealer is that they'd also want another 50 quid for inspecting the vehicle, also I bought the car from a private seller who had taken out the extended warranty till 2012.

Regards

Munish

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A final update....
Even though Renault said that they don't think there is enough play in the rack to warrant changing it, the engineer from the warranty company came down today and five minutes later he told Renault to change the rack as there is excessive play and they will pick up all the costs!! Hurray!! Thank god for extended warranties!!
Many Thanks for everyone's input on this thread...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff just shows you have to kick up a fuss sometimes
Hit the nail on the head Jamie230, but still surprises me that Renault didn't want to take on the work even though the car was ready to kill me at anything over 50mph in the wet....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts