Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone noticed a difference in performance using supermarket fuel? Only when I used morrisons once in my old focus st, it stank like rotten eggs, but only had put a tenner in then filled her up elsewhere and it went. I have a 250 sport now, so what fuel do you guys recommend? Thanks.:scooter:

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Me too mate, it's gotta be v-power or nowt. Car feels much better with v-power in not cheap but you pay for what you get.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the actual difference because I hear so many people say it's all in yah head, petrol is petrol. Can you state the real differences?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I use Asda 95, Tesco 99 and was running low on the way home today and ended up with some BP97.

I notice no difference between them at all. Not in performance or economy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from my morrisons incident never noticed any other difference in other fuels, is it the placebo effect?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's the actual difference because I hear so many people say it's all in yah head, petrol is petrol. Can you state the real differences?
High octane fuel like v-power or tesco 99 has a higher activation energy than normal fuel - it takes more energy to ignite it. This basically means it's more resistant to detonation (spontaneous combustion due to compression). Higher performance engines often have high compression ratios, which carry a greater risk of detonation. If the fuel is exploding because it's being compressed rather than when the spark plug goes off, this obviously throws out the precision timing with which everything in the engine operates. You want the fuel to explode at the optimum time in the cycle rather than at some random time after the fuel has been compressed. Detonation is characterized by "pinking" which is a metallic pinging noise coming from the engine.

Some people do report better fuel economy, and i think some magazine tests show better performance figures with high octane fuel. That isn't because the fuel is releasing any more energy when it burns, but rather because the engine is operating in the way it was designed to operate.

According to the manual you can run the car on normal unleaded, but it may not run as well. I have no idea what actual damage or extra wear it causes on the engine, but I always run mine on v-power.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Me too mate, it's gotta be v-power or nowt. Car feels much better with v-power in not cheap but you pay for what you get.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have never really noticed much difference that is why I always use sainsbury's super, only a couple of pence more than 95 but a lot cheaper than v power, used it in my last few cars clio 182, remapped focus st, and now the 250, and it has always been fine.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Habitual supermarket 95RON user here. Only time I splurged was when I Mountune'd the RS, but apart from that, the R26.R and R26 got the standard stuff, mostly from Tesco. The Exige does today, also.

Not aligned with the thinking that supermarket stuff is an order of magnitude worse than other forecourts (we're not talking about own-brand beans or cereal here), and have never experienced issues, nor seen huge benefits when going to any premium type fuel

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I used to run normal crappy unleaded petrol before my ramap with a slight popping missfire, after mapped I couldnt find a station with v power and with not using it (I didn't have my looking out glasses on for it either) I op'd for a unleaded again :(
But this is due to running it low to find one.

Found a garage that is literally up my road (shell) I filled the girl up with v power and run a full tank of it since and seriously my missfire has gone, not just me imagine it but it has with also a slight bit more throttle response.

So my verdict is yes it is worth it IMO

Jacob

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Yes it's supplied by BP. I only know because i used to wirk for them. Could blab for ages about the benefits, but i cba.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts